What's new

TV transmissions from years ago- how common are they? (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Andrew

Back in 1991 during the hot Louisiana summer I was able to pick up FM stations from another "country". I was getting FM Stations from Mexico. One in particular I got was Radio Mexico 88.1 in Mexico City. Now this was with a plain ole Denon tuner and outdoor antenna on a Channel Master rotater. It lasted for a few minutes (about 15) and the "E cloud" floated over another city and I was able to pick up transmissions from those cities too (don't remember what they were).

Aside from the station ID saying Mexico City, the station was also clearly a commercial station and there are no FM stations in the US that are commercial and over the 92 dial position.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Jack-

I've heard that stuffing your mouth with PolyFill also tightens the base considerably (as well as driving spikes through your feet). You should try it.

--Tom

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Can you REALLY recieve radio signals in your fillings? or is that just something funny old comedy shows made up?
Where would the sound come from? No speakers...
Always wondered about this.. somebody explain! :)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Anybody remember the Bevis and Butthead episode where they're sitting in class and Butthead's playing with his braces and a paper clip. He starts to pick up a radio station playing Ozzy. Bevis screams "louder louder".

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Who says that gold fillings are better than conventional ones? What some folks will say, one way to know if does or don't is to compare them in a properly set set-up Double Blind Level matched listening/chewing test. Once you do that and listener doesn't know which is the gold filling and which the conventional and challenge the listener (eater) choose which filling is which beyond 50%, the point of guessing, if the person(s)can detect sonic or taste/texture differences that person can say which ne may thinks sounds better.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I can't believe all of you overlooked the importance of oxygen-free gold! Combined with the counter-clockwise wind of the filling it greatly enhances high-end clarity at no cost to the mid-range or low end.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if having a Tice Digital Clock in the same room improves gold-filling FM reception? The paint is easy to get used to, by the way--I live near Melrose Avenue, so I'm not having any trouble blending into the crowd. When people say anything, I tell them my green mouth is all about front-to-back depth.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
You can only pick up old tv after your current cable from the antenna has had the appropriate amount of break-in time. You can read all about it in the tweak section of this forum. The audio and videophiles are all over it.
:) :) :) :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
As the Brits would say, Scott, we're just having a larf! This is one of the more amusing threads going right now. And informative, too: It occurred to me that golden-eared types everywhere are better off with gold fillings. But, Phil, the AB Comparitor used in double-blind tests for switching purposes adds its own colorations to the sound. I'm hearing much more front-to-back depth, I tell you--especially with the green paint.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Beg to differ, Jack. My dentist has been using non-metal fillings in my teeth and my audio/video reception has improved a hundredfold! ;)
Makes the new TV look better as well...

John Watson

Screenwriter
I remember hearing Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo in Canada some years ago.
Freddie Cannon sang about a Transistor Sister when I was a lad.
(I luv falling into threads like this :) )

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Jack, Jack, Jack. Surely you've figured out that you need tiny wooden blocks mounted on your molars to get optimal sound by now? :)
Regards,
Joe

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've come to prefer the sound of FM signals coming through brass doorknobs. Much better soundstaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks