What's new

TV to Receiver Connection? (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Hi,

I'm currently doing research to hopefully upgrade my CRT TV to an LCD within a few months. In doing so, I came across a potential problem.

Presently, I do not use my old receiver as the "hub" of my system. I have an S-Video switcher, and route video/audio signals first to my TV. Then the "audio out" of the TV (RCA) goes into my receiver. I prefer this setup as it lets me use only the TV's speakers for casual viewing from the DVD recorders -- I only turn on the receiver when watching DVDs (and turn down the TV speakers).

I've noticed that LCD TV's seem to have only a digital audio out. My receiver is old, and doesn't have a digital audio in. Are there any LCDs which have the old l/r audio RCA cable outs? Or some kind of adapter which would take the digital toslink(?) signal and feed it to the RCA audio input? I'm not an audiophile and don't need the optimum sound -- I can't even really turn up the sound as I'm in an apartment complex. Kind of wanted to see if I could manage a similar setup to what I have now without totally rewiring everything or incorporating a new receiver.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
What size were you looking for?

At least with the Sharp AQUOS LCDs, only the larger models (57" and 65") have analog audio outputs in addition to the normal optical digital output. And these TVs are mighty expensive (like $15k and $20k retail!).

There's a lot more bang for the buck with plasma as for as flat panels go. Virtually every good plasma will have analog audio outputs, and you can 55" models for as low as $4,000.

If you're that dead-set on an LCD, your only real option would be to upgrade the receiver to an inexpensive AVR...all of them have digital inputs. Even the bargain basement $150 ones...

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Nick,

Thanks for your reply! Is there some reason the analog is more common with the plasmas?

I'm pretty set on a LCD due to the burn-in and glare factor with plasmas. I'm looking at 37" to 40", as my space is very limited.

I think I might consider getting a new receiver then -- my Yamaha must be about 10 years old.

The LCD hunt is becoming a lot more difficult than I expected! I simply wanted a better TV for DVD viewing (2.35:1 movies on a 27" 4:3 TV is no fun), but now realize the tradeoff may be a poorer looking SD picture. . .sigh. . .

Thank you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks