What's new

TV Recommendation (1 Viewer)

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've found out that the JVC DiLA 52" is just too big for where we want to put it, so now I'm looking for TVs in the 46" range. I've been checking out the Samsung 46" DP (4663) and like it a lot. Right now I can get it from Circuit City for $2069 with 10% back in CC dollars with 12 months financing or another 5% back. Either way, comes in around $1800. I'm a bit concerned for a couple reasons:

- Some people mention issues with sound delay.
- The new models coming out look sleeker, have the HD4 technology, and built-in HD tuners, but price will probably be $600 more at street price.

This TV will be used mostly for SD, maybe some HD, some DVD. It will not be hooked to a HT system, that is reserved for the theater room that I'm setting up in the basement.

Am I looking at too much here? Should I be looking at some good 36" SD TVs instead? HD content will be limited, and most SD will be 4:3 anyway. Anyone have any recommendations, FAST?!

Brian

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Maybe you should just get a 4:3 set, 32-36" set. It's too bad you can't fit a 55" TV. I am selling a 55" Mitsubishi widescreen in excellent condition, asking $995.

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
I went ahead and bought the Samsung. Taking into account taxes and CC rebates, total was about $1850. It fits PERFECTLY into the space we were trying to fill. Wouldn't have wanted to go larger or smaller really. I bought Incredibles on the way home to reward my 4 year old for being so good during our move and we watched it last night. WOW! Nice. My wife is still dissapointed that there are black bars on top/bottom on a "widescreen" TV (without stretching it). I tried to explain to her about different aspect ratios used....blah...blah...it didn't go over well. She says the black bars give her headaches. Sure.

Now, to find a stand. Anyone have a good recommendation on a stand to fit this unit? Something that is not much bigger than the TV itself (maybe 48"), has place to hide the wires, glass shelves, and is inexpensive but not cheap?

Brian

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
It's probably the DLP technology giving her headaches, not the black bars. Some people are affected by headaches and the rainbow effect from DLP's.

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
No, it's not the rainbows, it's the black bars. They distract her. It was the same on our old 4:3 52" CRT projection TV. DLP has nothing to do with it. I'm still wondering why I have black bars. Maybe my DVD player output needs to be changed. Hmm?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Anything wider than 1.85:1 will have them.

But you absolutely have to set you DVD player for a 16"9 display or your not getting what you have paid for.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

Hmmm... If she is really getting headaches, I would really doubt that this is the cause. I have never heard of this before...

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got the samsung 47 inch rear projection from sam's club.. it came with a free tv stand.

JACOB

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
So now you guys are doctors, huh? I didn't ask you to comment on my wife, I asked for comments on the TV.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

Ummm... yeah. Yes, I am. :D

Oh, not that kind of doctor though... But my wife is!

Seriously though... It sounds like a strange reason to get headaches, and DLP sets are known to give some people headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks