What's new

TV Re Union Movies (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Okay so there are several examples of this but I am just wondering

Will the studios release some as separate Sets?

Dallas (2) 1996, 1999
Dukes of Hazzard (2) 1997, 2000
Andy Griffith 1987 I think with Return to Mayberry
I know Leave it to Beaver also had one when everyone came back for Ward's Funeral

Knight Rider had one in 1991 that Universal included as part of the season 1 release but how are others handling it ??

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Not really a reunion movie. But, I wonder if well ever see the prequel to Dallas. "Dallas: The Early Years"?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

MattHR

Screenwriter
Many times these reunion movies are produced by companies other than the ones that produced the original series, which precludes them from being released as part of the shows' DVD season sets. Of course, the studios could possibly negotiate a licencing arrangement to include them.

For the most part, I'd prefer reunion movies to be released separately from the original series' season sets. They rarely feature the entire original cast, and are usually not written and produced by the original creative team.

For shows like The Munsters and Gilligan's Island, which had several reunion movies (without the entire original casts,) it just wouldn't seem right to have the reunions included on their final season sets. Of course, if there is no chance of them ever seeing a separate release, then I obviously wish they had included them. For shows that had just a single reunion, it would make more sense for it to be included with the final season.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It's been years since I enjoyed The Wild Wild West Revisited and its sequel More Wild Wild West. The second one from 1980 was the last thing Ross Martin did professionally before his death the following year.

The Return of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. deserves a video release too....although they need to get the original series on DVD first. ;)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I'm hopeful that the Dukes of Hazzard movies are included in the final season.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'd like to own the two "Growing Pains" TV-movies; "Growing Pains: The Movie" and "Growing Pains: Return Of The Seavers". I also would love to own the two Brady Bunch reunion movies; "The Brady Girls Get Married" and "A Very Brady Christmas".

RogerH

Supporting Actor
That is great news. Kinda surprising that as a huge MacGyver fan I have never seen the 2 movies so I really hope they will be included :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I saw the 2 post-series MacGyver movies, and as you'd expect being made two years after the show was cancelled they weren't that good even with Richard Dean Anderson (and nothing compared to the series).

Anderson did get to play MacGyver again in 2006 (his gray hair dyed brown) in a recent VISA card commercial, and since there was so much action in it he didn't get a single line. :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Project: ALF is available as a Canadian DVD but I wouldn't call it a reunion as none of the other cast members return.

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator

That actually spawned an entirely new series, Still The Beaver (later re-titled The New Leave It To Beaver), so it would make more sense to include that in a DVD release of the newer series.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

Jeff...somebody (maybe you!) posted this link a while back:

http://www.priceless.com/film/worldpremiere.html

:)

I actually have the two MacGyver TV-movies DVD'd from a long-ago broadcast. I also have the two Dukes Of Hazzard movies from much more recently...CMT plays them fairly frequently. I also have all the Alien Nation ones. ALL from broadcast, of course. The completist in me would still love to have "official" versions of all of them...

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
There are 2 types of "reunion" movies. The first and best are the ones where the actors reminisce about the show and classic clips are featured. Two excellent recent examples are Lifetime's Designing Women & Golden Girls reunions which were done in this style.

The second, and most horrific, are the ones where the actors return to their old roles in a contrived plotline that brings most of the original characters back together so we can "catch up" on what they've been doing. Usually the only thing they've been doing is aging badly and skipping their acting lessons. As a general rule you should run screaming from this type of reunion movie. A rare exception was a segment from a Laverne & Shirley reunion special where Penny Marshall & Cindy Williams return to their original roles and compete on a Survivor-like series. Very cute and their legendary comedic chemistry is still there.

I'd love to see some of the "clip show" reunions released, even if separately from the series box sets.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I have to agree. One of the worst of the second was "The Dick Van Dyke Show " The reunion show was so unfunny and just sad. This was written by Carl Reiner who created the show. It just should not have been done. After 40 years the actors were just too removed from the characters they played.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I liked the theatrical "Get Smart" movie, THE NUDE BOMB, but it wasn't the sequel that fans wanted.

They really got it right the second time, with the TV movie GET SMART, AGAIN!, which IMO in the best example of this type of project I've seen.

The less said about the lame third attempt, the 1995 FOX version with Andy Dick, the better. Yuck!

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Most of them are pretty horrible although there have been a few decent ones. I wouldn't mind the 2 Father Knows Best ones or the 3 Make Room for Daddy ones. Of course it would be nice to see the series first.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator

Those clip show reunions would make good bonus features. Kind of like a commentary track without doing any extra work. However they are tediously dry.

If the reunion is done well I would rather see it as an actual movie. "Return to Mayberry" was excellent. Being a fan of Gilligans Island, I like their movies as well. The "still the beaver" movie was decent. The Waltons movies were always interesting, since the show was a natural progression/aging of its characters. Some are of course dreadful and un-natural such as the very recent "Dick VanDyke".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks