What's new

Trying to jump into SACD the cheap way (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I started to enjoy multichannel music with my DVD-A system, so I'm liking it so much that I'm ready to get into SACD. I'm looking for the SCD-CE775, who has the best price on it ?....Is the 222es worth the extra $$$

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Check out the SACD display at your local Circuit City. I just picked up a 775 open box, the unit being used at the sacd display, for $99 everything included.

Good luck,
Aaron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, the 'CE775 is very tough to find these days new. If you can find a new unit, it should run you about $180-200. It's a great deal at that price. $99 is a great price on a demo unit, but I am always leery of demo components simply because they typically get a lot of wear and tear. That just me.

The 'C222ES has been selling for around $350 through Oade Bros., OneCall, and J&R Music World. If you can spend the $350, I'd definitely go with the 'C222ES over the 'CE775. In my experience, the 'C222ES is a better CD and SACD player (the difference is more pronounced with CDs). Also, the 'C222ES offers better build quality, the five-year ES warranty, gold-plated RCA outputs, and a coaxial digital output.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either model, but go for the 'C222ES if you can.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Keith, for redbook playback I'll be using the DAC on my reciever, do you still think I'll get a better sound from the 222es ?...the ce775 comes with a 2 year warranty. I could probably shell out the extra $$ for the 222es but it needs to be worth it....any opinions ?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, where did you read that the 'CE775 comes with a two-year warranty? As a non-ES component, the 'CE775 comes with a one-year warranty (non-ES receivers come with a two-year warranty). In any event, I doubt there would be a major difference between the 'CE775 and 'C222ES as transports, but I can't say for sure. Note that the 'C222ES has a coaxial digital output, which I prefer over an optical digital output since the former utilizes a more robust cable. In any event, if you can step up to the 'C222ES, I say go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks