Trying to jump into SACD the cheap way

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Oct 18, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I started to enjoy multichannel music with my DVD-A system, so I'm liking it so much that I'm ready to get into SACD. I'm looking for the SCD-CE775, who has the best price on it ?....Is the 222es worth the extra $$$

2. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Check out the SACD display at your local Circuit City. I just picked up a 775 open box, the unit being used at the sacd display, for $99 everything included.

Good luck,
    Aaron

3. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

I also picked up a 775 open box at circuit city just last night for $99.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, the 'CE775 is very tough to find these days new. If you can find a new unit, it should run you about $180-200. It's a great deal at that price. $99 is a great price on a demo unit, but I am always leery of demo components simply because they typically get a lot of wear and tear. That just me.

The 'C222ES has been selling for around $350 through Oade Bros., OneCall, and J&R Music World. If you can spend the $350, I'd definitely go with the 'C222ES over the 'CE775. In my experience, the 'C222ES is a better CD and SACD player (the difference is more pronounced with CDs). Also, the 'C222ES offers better build quality, the five-year ES warranty, gold-plated RCA outputs, and a coaxial digital output.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either model, but go for the 'C222ES if you can.

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Keith, for redbook playback I'll be using the DAC on my reciever, do you still think I'll get a better sound from the 222es ?...the ce775 comes with a 2 year warranty. I could probably shell out the extra $$ for the 222es but it needs to be worth it....any opinions ?

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, where did you read that the 'CE775 comes with a two-year warranty? As a non-ES component, the 'CE775 comes with a one-year warranty (non-ES receivers come with a two-year warranty). In any event, I doubt there would be a major difference between the 'CE775 and 'C222ES as transports, but I can't say for sure. Note that the 'C222ES has a coaxial digital output, which I prefer over an optical digital output since the former utilizes a more robust cable. In any event, if you can step up to the 'C222ES, I say go for it.