What's new

Trying to buy a home well designed for home theater! HELP! (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Hi Henry, and welcome!
Ill be in the same boat as you in the near future :)
That room really looks nice, but not what i would want.
It could work tho if you positioned the sitting area a little further from the wall.
When i say this, i am referring to a 6/7.1 set up(THX EX/DTS-ES) with surround back speakers behind the listening area.
I think a more rectangular room would be a benifit. And if its being built for you, might as well not have any perpendicular walls.
If your only into 5.1, you can get by with having the couch against the wall and positioning your 2 surround speakers on either side of the couch, so it could work that way.
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."
[Edited last by Henry Carmona on November 03, 2001 at 02:02 AM]

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
Man I love that ET center that is sweeeet(My TV would fit perfect).
i going to save that picture for future refrence.
I bought a new house recently (Royce Homes) that has the luvered celings on the sides like in that picture, it makes installing surounds a pain in the arss, i ended up having to put them at the 10ft mark above me on the top back wall since my couch was all the way to back wall.
Next time i look for a house, i will look for a something that i can have pleny of room behind the couch as well.
What part of TX are you moving too.
Basements are not very common in this area(Houston), infact rare in new housing developments unless you have one built.
Good Luck

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I have discussed in depth a media room for our new home, which we plan on buying or building next year. We have determined that if we build a raised ranch, we will split the bottom section, one part for the laundry room, the other for a home theater setup. This way, the living room on the main level can have a standard 27" TV in the corner, out of the way when company is around.
Only problem is building a home will mean we move in much later than we want, so we have to figure out if we can handle that.
frown.gif
Personally, I'd rather wait then move into somebody else's mess.
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Henry Phillips

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply all... Looking in the Austin area...
I felt that room was really cool, but unfortunately, like you guys, I want the couch away from the rear wall. I think if you move the couch forward in this room, you will be too close to the tv... I am going to see if they are willing to make the room deeper...
Why does every single house have the fireplace in the middle of the family room with a small tv area off center???
frown.gif

You would think alot of people would not like that...

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
I moved into model home. NIce, we do have a large living rom - 2 stories high, 32x19x17, with great brick fireplace. As a result, we have once room (1st floor bedroom) converted into 7.1 TV room, RPTV for display & all lectronics inside; and living room is with music only, 4 speakers for now, positioned for best soundstage & dynamics.
When we will build/move next time, the agreement is that we will have similar setup - a nice movie room, with 7.1 & front projector; then similar living room/library with books, sofa, vinyl and good speakers for sitting around.
I know where I made mistakes this time - like not enough cabling (I pulled 12g speaker wire in the living room, but forgot to pull with it coax for active speakers..., or not enough good coax for signal distribution from media room to other parts of home...).
_zjt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks