What's new

Trying 1080i (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I've got a P4 1.8 with a GeForce Ti 200 64 MB. Can I try 540p and/or 1080i on my Toshiba 65HX81? I know u need a VGA to component adapter and I already downloaded Powerstrip.
Does my card actually support the resolutions in question? Any other thing I missed?

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Please post your progress ... I'm interested because I want to get my htpc to output 1080i someday. I've stuck a Voodoo 5500 in mine, but I never got it to work with anything more than 480p through my Mits VGA input. I couldn't even get the card to work in interlaced format, so I think I'll have to get a different card altogether.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

Just try it in powerstrip. 1080i is one of the preset resolutions, and so you should be able to go to the custom res page, and select 1080i. It will tell you that it will restart and see if your card supports this res. If you restart and the resolution is available on your pull down on the main page, then it accepted it.

-Vince

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1080i is 1920x1080 with the interlace check in place. Like I said, this "custom" resolution timing is a preset packaged in powerstrip.

I don't have the program in front of me, but by memory (so some label names might be paraphrased):
- Right click the PS logo in system tray, select Display profile and configure.
- On the right side there should be the Resolution and Refresh setting, and below that near the bottom is a click box for custom settings (Says like "advanced options" or "custom options" or "timing settings" or something like that). Click that.
- This will bring up a page with tons of settings explaining your current syncs. In the middle on the left should be a a CUSTOM RES button- click that to go to the custom res setup page.
- Along the left there should be defined presets (this is where it will add resolutions if you create them yourself) By default, there are several standards (there is a list of like 40, Including a ton for HDTV and HDTV related). They actually have "HDTV" noted in parenthesis beside the digits.

In this list there should be several you could try, just scan down the list looking for settings listed as HDTV resolutions:
1280x720p (if your set can do 720p)
1920x1080i

Near the bottom there should be the 1920x1080i preset listed (and it should say "HDTV compliant" or "HDTV standard" or something like that).

Select the res you want to try, and click ADD THIS RESOLUTION on the Right side. It should prompt you saying it needs to restart to see if your PC card accepts this preset. If it does, you should be able to go back into configure display profile (right click logo in sys tray, display profile, configure), and the resolution preset slider in the upper right should allow you to adjust to 1920x1080i

You could also save that as a display profile (if it accepts it), and then quickly select it by right clicking the PS logo in the system tray. Once you save the profile and give it a name, it will pop up under your profile list. By doing so, you can define like 6-8 different HDTV and HDTV related resolutions and quickly toggle between each.

Hope that helps.

-Vince

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Thank you very much Vince. You are the HTPC god here!
My card outputs at least 540p but not 1080i. I guess I have another reason to upgrade to maybe the ATI 8500..or maybe "borrow" one to test...? I haven't tried it on my set yet...maybe this weekend.

Thanks again....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks