What's new

True Blood Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly she doesn't read her families minds, or very close friends, like Tara. I know that ability has been downplayed, but I can't remember the last time on the show she was at work in a normal day. Most of her time was spent in that training camp at the fellowship of the whatevers and then she has been back with Marrianne. I'm sure that ability will come up again soon.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

...I can't remember the last time on the show she was at work in a normal day.

I might be wrong but I think the last times that she waitressed were at the end of S1/beginning of S2 when they found the fake psychic lady dead in the back of Andy's car and then the day after Maryann was defeated at the end of S2.

Keep in mind that the entire series has probably taken place over less than 2 months so it's not like months or years have elapsed between Sookie using her abilities.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I continue to watch this show for Jason and Eric. If Jason and Andy had their own show, I'd be a devoted fan. If there were an Eric and Godric show with a sort of "Angel" vibe, I'd watch that loyally.

I like Jessica too. Her predicaments are great to watch. Poor actress has that blood stuff smeared all over her face in practically every scene.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
To everyone providing reasoned contrast regarding Sookie and her powers, it's not an issue I'd debate on, but it does strike me that if some kind of demon creature came at me and my inner light repelled it, follwed by her saying "What are you?" I have to believe that I'd pretty immediately think, "Yeah, WTF?!" I just can't imagine anyone being lacking in that basic curiosity. I mean, it's one thing that a person can go through life with the ability to read minds and not think, "How'd that happen," but we can always chalk that up to us joining a life already in progress. The people around Sookie seem quite curious about who/what she is, but Sookie herself doesn't. I think the audience would appreciate some insight into how much Sookie knows about herself and how she has come to terms with what she knows (and doesn't know). I think it would flesh out her character some.

One thing I've found interesting about the vampire government is how the vampires are so completely expected to follow the mandates of the people in power, even if they don't make sense. It strikes me that this is not a hierarchy that tolerates conscientious objection. His majesty offers you Sheriff, and "no thank you" puts you in a perilous predicament. Tough crowd. I'd be different if the feeling was that those in hierarchy must behave responsibily towards the masses or lose their position, but it seems in their case, political power is given almost solely based on might makes right principles; The oldest and strongest are the highest rulers.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Quote: mattCR
In his state. Apparently, there is a king/queen in each state. So, the "King" of Mississippi would be a match of sorts for the Queen of Louisiana

I think Russel may be the oldest living vampire on the show, regardless of state. In his interview

he stated that he was the oldest therefore the most powerful vampire. He is nearly 3000 years old.

http://www.trueblood-news.com/more-questions-for-denis-ohare

The Queen may be a politically powerful figure but in terms of physical power I wouldn't put her above Eric (I believe she is not as old as Eric), let alone Godric and especially not close to Russel.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Vaughan Odendaal

The Queen may be a politically powerful figure but in terms of physical power I wouldn't put her above Eric (I believe she is not as old as Eric)...

Based on when the queen pinned Eric against the wall in the season premiere, I think she's the more physically dominant of the two.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
And she has said several times to him that she could beat him, don't remember how she said it though. Something about having his fangs for earings or something.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

To everyone providing reasoned contrast regarding Sookie and her powers, it's not an issue I'd debate on, but it does strike me that if some kind of demon creature came at me and my inner light repelled it, follwed by her saying "What are you?" I have to believe that I'd pretty immediately think, "Yeah, WTF?!" I just can't imagine anyone being lacking in that basic curiosity. I mean, it's one thing that a person can go through life with the ability to read minds and not think, "How'd that happen," but we can always chalk that up to us joining a life already in progress. The people around Sookie seem quite curious about who/what she is, but Sookie herself doesn't. I think the audience would appreciate some insight into how much Sookie knows about herself and how she has come to terms with what she knows (and doesn't know). I think it would flesh out her character some.
I guess this is what I mean (damn! I hate this quoting thing!! I quoted, and then couldn't get a cursor below the box, had to click the "Source" button to manually insert something below it to type.. grr!!)

Anyway, I just expected, especially after she did the white light trick on Marriane that Sookie would have an incredible interest in figuring out WTF she is. But she seems to be pretty nonchalant about the whole thing.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well, to be honest, what is she supposed to do? There is so much going on in her life right now (as mentioned, only a few days have passed since that happened) that she hasn't really had time to investigate it. And how would you investigate it anyway? This is a world where vampires and werewolves exist, so it's not that big of a deal for some girl to to have some random powers that she can't explain. It's almost normal, or boring. Until she can replicate it there's not much she can do, and obviously her center of attention right now is Bill.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I already said what she's "supposed" to do. Express curiousity about what happened. I'm not suggesting taking time out from current events to go to the library and do a simultaneous genealogy and mythology search. But I don't care if I were in the middle of the approach on Normandy, if a bullet made contact with me and I repelled it, I'd try to accomplish my mission and also seek safety, but I'd also have a pretty immediate reaction to the turn of events, even if it's just for a second as I pause at the next bunker. I don't know what was on the script, but it was an opportunity for the actress to elevate the material by interjecting a succint surprise reaction.

I wouldn't elevate it to plot hole, because I've never read the books and I don't know where the story is going, but based on what I've seen so far, it's a notable lack of reaction. Sookie has had plenty of time to have a reaction and the PTB have had plenty of time in the episodes themselves to show us said reaction. She's also had 2 full seasons to share with us any curiosity she's had about the way she is.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure Sookie is curious about her powers but the scene would go like this:

FADE IN

Sookie: "What's with these powers that I have?"

any other character: "Got me."

END SCENE

Why waste screen time with that? I can just fill in the blank in my mind that she wonders what is going on without her asking people who have absolutely no way of answering it.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
"Based on when the queen pinned Eric against the wall in the season premiere, I think she's the more physically dominant of the two."

Eric obviously did not retaliate. He just let the Queen pin him down. I have no doubt that he could have overthrown her if he desired it. Since she is his boss essentially and holds considerable influence, I doubt that we would see Eric physically harming her.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Eric is a big believer in rank and tradition. He wouldn't retaliate against the Queen whether or not he was strong enough. She's his superior whether or not she's physically stronger.

I wouldn't elevate it to plot hole, because I've never read the books and I don't know where the story is going, but based on what I've seen so far, it's a notable lack of reaction. Sookie has had plenty of time to have a reaction and the PTB have had plenty of time in the episodes themselves to show us said reaction. She's also had 2 full seasons to share with us any curiosity she's had about the way she is.

This seems to be an invention of the TV series writers, as in the books Sookie's "secret" isn't revealed until book 6 or 7 and I haven't read anything like the scene described in this thread (I don't have HBO, so I'm not watching the series in real time). Anyway, her "secret" in the book doesn't result in any additional powers, per se, beyond her telepathy (at least through book 7, which is as far as I've read).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

Well, to be honest, what is she supposed to do?

Consult with the Scoobies and have them hit the library, you know, to find out.. oh wait, wrong vampire show.

I recognize that she's concerned about Bill and everything, but don't even your example of "what the hell is up with my powers" "Don't know" would at least tell the audience that a character isn't hiding information about her/knows who or what she is.. or are they? And, just bringing it up tells us that she does care. She's obviously more then human in some way...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Vaughan Odendaal

Eric is a big believer in rank and tradition. He wouldn't retaliate against the Queen whether or not he was strong enough. She's his superior whether or not she's physically stronger.

I see what you guys are saying but, to me, Eric appeared as 'helpless' both times that the queen has pinned him as Bill did when Lorena held him captive in the hotel last season (and she is definitely more powerful than Bill since she is his maker and older than he is). I agree that Eric would bow to the queen's power and he can tell that she's pretty nutty so it isn't worth rocking the boat by upsetting her but I think in the case of the queen, he was just plain overpowered.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
In the show, I think Eric is older than the Queen. I could be wrong, but I don't even think she is 1000 years (more like 800 years old). The show has established that age determines strength/power. If that is the case, then Russel is the strongest of all the vampires and considerably more powerful than Godric, as difficult as it is to fathom.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
"And she has said several times to him that she could beat him, don't remember how she said it though. Something about having his fangs for earings or something."

That doesn't infer that she could have done that personally. She has a kingdom, she is protected. She holds considerable influence. If she wanted she could strip Eric of his position. But I don't think that she could physically beat him. In every confrontation, Eric has been awfully passive. Too passive in fact. She did say that he was the most powerful vampire in her 'queendom'...

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/true-blood/true-blood-first-peek-at-queen-30564.aspx

According to the above source Sophie-Anne is only 500 years old. If Eric wanted to, I'm sure he could rip her apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks