What's new

Trouble shooting question (1 Viewer)

Craig_Teague

Auditioning
Ok so I bought a new DVD player, a JVC XV-D723GD Progressive Scan DVD Player to be exact. Any way when I first got it I put it on my reciever, which I knew I shouldn't have done but I'm getting a new entertainment center in about two weeks and I thought it'd be ok till then. Any way I tried watching two movies with it that way and it started to skip about an hour into the movie both times. The trouble shoot section says to not block the vents, and though they weren't blocked they were above a good deal of heat. I've tried it a couple of times with it off of the reciever and its worked fine, do you think that the Heat caused it to malfunction or should I send it back. I'd like to think its fine and save myself the trouble of shipping it back and everything, but don't want to keep it and have it act up again. Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks

Craig

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
OK, I'm going to take your invitation that "any opinions would be appreciated" at face value. I understand, however, that you may not appreciate the one I'm about to offer.

My opinion is that you should keep it, since it doesn't sound like it was defecive, but only acted up because of the excessive heat. Therefore, there is no basis upon which to return it.

The ethical question raised here is whether it is OK to return an item that was damaged due to negligence. I would assume (you didn't say) that the negligence wouldn't be disclosed.

My answer would be that this would not be OK. There is an assumption on the part of the retailer that something returned is in original (perhaps defective, but still original) condition.

As to whether the damage is permanent, I'm sure there was SOME permanent damage, due to heat stress, etc., and maybe its lifetime was diminished, or maybe now it is more sensitive to heat. I haven't a clue. The heat couldn't have done it any good, however. But, equally likely, the damage is too slight to ever matter.

Craig_Teague

Auditioning
I pretty mucn sent the person I bought it from the same post asking his opinion, so he knows the full situation. haven't heard back from him yet though. Thanks for the opinion

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks