What's new

'TRON', what a strange movie. (1 Viewer)

Eric Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I love the light cycles!

BTW, didnt the factory line vehicle in Minority Report look exactly like a light cycle except being double wide?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Tron holds a special place in my heart, not because its any better than any other movie that was out at the time, but because, when I was growing up and we would take trips accross the state to stay with my grandmother, she owned two kids movies... Tron, and The Princess Bride. I have The Princess Bride and I really want to get Tron.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I love Tron, I remember seeing it at the cinema a couple of times, 20 years ago
(20 years ago? wow!), anyone noticed the Wizard of Oz analogy in the movie?
If you look closely at the background during the last half hour you can see the solarsail fly over a huge silhouette of Mickey Mouse.
Wendy Carlos did the electronic score, I still have the album somewhere, 'Walter' Carlos did Kubrick's 'A Clockwork Orange', they are the same person, by the time he did Tron, Walter had become a Wendy.;)
The SE DVD was great with plenty of juicy extras.:emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I watched the movie again Sunday night and it did make more sense this time knowing what i've read in this thread. I guess I just missed that whole period when that kind of computer talk was popular, I was too young when the film was out to understand that type of language, and by the time I did see the film many years later, that sort of tech talk wasn't being used anymore so I failed to connect with it.

I really have to say that this film is indeed amazing to look at. It really transports you their and makes you feel as if your going through all that with the charactors.

And yes, the light cycles are cool!

Mark_Mac

Stunt Coordinator
In the Movie Dillinger appears startled when the MCP says it has infilitrated other computers. Maybe the MCP should be working for MPAA since this is what they are wanting to do.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Carlos' score is still one of my favorites (now on CD too!), very nice mix of electronic and orchestral.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Actually, when Tron was written, it was an allegory for Microsoft and Compaq smashing the IBM monopoly, and systems becoming 'open'. How times change, and yet stay the same...
Anyway, if anyone does buy games occasionally and is a Tron fan, you simply must buy Rez. Its a stunning game, and graphically owes a significant debt to the film.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Actually, when Tron was written, it was an allegory for Microsoft and Compaq smashing the IBM monopoly, and systems becoming 'open'. How times change, and yet stay the same...
Yes, I always laugh at the fact that Windows is lumped into a category of operating environments commonly reffered to in the business world as "open systems" RE: Tron though, I really want to see this again and it is a child hood favorite, but I find I am wanting to see more new (to me) movies right now which is replacing my desire to build a collection of movies that may or may not have a high re-watchability factor. I may have to give this a rental or pick it up used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks