'TRON', what a strange movie.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've only seen this movie twice now, the first about 9 years ago on TBS or something, and the second today on the dvd I bought back in Febuary.
    I'm not sure I like this movie or not, it's technically a marvel for it's time, but the story is a bit, well, weird. It starts out expecting the audience to already be familliar with the technology of the world being presented, and that left me a bit confused as to what was going on at times.
    So Jeff Bridges gets zapped into a computerized game world by mad-man David Warner because Bridges stumbled upon some sort of plot, but what plot? I wasn't clear on that. And spends the rest of the film trying to get out. But what exactly is a "user"? I assume that's the person in the real world controlling the computer charactor right? I also found the music in the film to be a bit off putting.
    I dunno.
    The dvd is spectacular though, outstanding video transfer, and the DD 5.1 track has enough LFE to shake the fillings out of your teeth!
    Can someone please explain to me exactly what was going on in this movie? I just can't get my mind around it.
    I know, i'm a bit slow at times. [​IMG]

2. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Dillinger (David Warner) ripped off Flynn (Jeff Bridges). Flynn wrote the popular video games, such as "Space Paranoids" and Dillinger got all the credit for it. Flynn needed to get the proof that he was the creator of the games, so they broke into the company, after Flynn's attempts to break into the Master Control Program (MCP) via his home computer failed. The MCP was protecting Dillinger in any way possible. It figured that Flynn was harmless inside the computer world, so it digitized him and sent him there.

Inside, Flynn eventually teamed up with the TRON program (Bruce Boxleitner). Bruce Boxleinter also played Dylan in the film, the author of the TRON program, a program designed to infiltrate the MCP, which is why Flynn needs it.

It's all there in the film. Perhaps you should try watching it again.

Neil

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Thanks, I guess i'm going to have to watch it again, probably tomorrow.
    Peter,
    being born in 72, I too am a child of the 80's, I even remember the TRON arcade machine in a local pizza place. My post may have led one to think that I don't care for the film because it's outdated, nah, I just didn't really get the plot is all. Maybe i'll like it more this time, now that I know what's going on in it.
    And yes, I think that the film is the granddaddy of every big, successful CGI film, it all started with TRON.

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

6. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

The Tron Viewmaster slides were cool!!!!!!

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I do think you need another look John, based on your complaints. I think the plot you are speaking of is all there.

Dated yes, confusing no.

The "users" are the programmers, and the programs they write look just like them when you are (Flynn is) in the CPU world. That's why TRON looks just like his friend.

The MCP (master control program) is trying to shut down all these programs, which have all been written by "users" which is why users are like gods to them. Flynn IS a user and not a program which is part of the reason he has success inside the CPU. Of course the big fantasy leap of faith is that the MCP could digitize him and place him in the CPU like a program.

If you accept that then the rest is gravy.

And I think the film has a great tone/style that is very consistent and inventive. One of the more beautiful films to look at.

8. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I love the byte that answers "yes" or "no". [​IMG] In reality any sort of program that cognitively answers questions would be composed of way more than just one byte.

9. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

In addition to Neil's explanation, which was on the money, I recall that Dillinger wasn't always the CEO, he was either a programmer just like Flynn or Flynn's immediate supervisor, and he climbed the corporate ladder by the fame and fortune from the success of the Space Paranoids game which he stole from Flynn.

By the way, it wasn't a byte, it was a bit. A gang of eight of them would be a byte.

I've heard that Disney is working on Tron 2.0 which I guess will update the state of the art. I'm thinking that if they intend to bring it up to date and be true to today's video games, the games they'll play inside the computer won't be based on such abstract things as tanks and mazes or racing cycles that leave solid trails behind them. Because those types of arcade games are a thing of the past. The last time I looked in an arcade, it seemed like every single one of the games fell into one of two categories: "aim the gun and shoot the bad guys" and "beat the shit out of the bad guys".

My all-time favorite arcade game was Discs of Tron. The enclosed version which you would stand inside and lean against the back wall, not the plain upright version. It had surround sound and pretty good bass. That was the only game that I could play for what seemed like hours on just one quarter. I was throwing whoopass-flavored discs across the arena and Sark's big ol' head just kept getting in their way. Ah, those were the days.

Anyway, I'm waiting to see how 2.0 turns out.

10. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

11. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

12. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

TRON is the original Matrix.

13. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

14. charles white

charles white Second Unit

TRON is almost prophetic in its imagery of a world dominating, all controling computer software(Microsoft and Windows), the rise of the hero(Linux) and their quest to free the network(open source software).

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yeah, now that you mention it Tron almost was a cyberpunk film. The characters don't have that dark, rebel style and the world doesn't have the edgy look for true cyberpunk (like Matrix), but the basic premise of a user working within the computer world isn't so different from Matrix or Neuromancer (or a lot of other cyberpunk stories/films).
    Oh, and a standard mantra of the cyberpunk movement is "Information wants to be free"...so there you go, just like Charles mentioned.
    BTW, Tron 2.0 is a video game, not a movie.
    At least at this point. Given Disney it probably will only be a matter of time before a straight to video sequel is made. [​IMG]

16. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Tron 2.0 is a movie and the video game is based on it. IMDB lists it as "Tron Killer App" and Tron 2.0 is the working title.

17. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Is there anybody who really understood all of that tech talk back when that film was released? [​IMG]
    There were so many refrences to the computer world it's no wonder most of the audience was lost.
    When I was a kid and that movie came out in the theaters, I was completely lost and bored with it.
    Now that I am computer literate and understand the lingo, the film becomes easy to understand. It's really a simple plot once you understand all of the tech refrences.
    The movie was definately ahead of it's time.

18. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Wayne,
    Love the sig. Delerious for me is one of, if not the, funniest pieces of stand-up I've ever heard.

19. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Tron rules absolutely, and imo The DVD of the Year so far. I was struck by all these rich colours that made it look like it was made yesterday instead of 20 years ago.
    Gotta agree with Charles White post about linux and the open software. The dvd was made by Kurtti Pellertin, these guys are also responsible for the Lord of the Rings DVD.
    www.tronkillerapp.com is imo a great tool for promotion.
    thanks to this post, I am going to watch TRON again tonight.
    [​IMG]

20. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit