What's new

Transformers: G1 (1980s) (1 Viewer)

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
I'm trying to find definitive information on which is the preferred version of Transformers... I've checked a few threads and not found what I'm looking for.

Anyway - there's the Rhino releases (now OOP), the Metrodome UK box, and the (Chinese?) release in the wooden box.

Out of these three, I'm curious as to which is preferred?

Thanks!

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski

Yes these are being released again. The Rhino release was pretty good and lots of work went into it but theres a lot of issues with colour (way too saturated) and the original elements they used (because they used the original 35mm cell prints, some of the added animation is missing), plus the fact that the sets were really damn expensive. The other ones i had heard were not all that sharp. Will be a welcome relief if this is finally done right. Seeing what is being done with other shows like Masters of the Universe, there is great possibilities for this. Does anyone have any further info on this? I am also assuming it will be released at the time the new feature film premieres.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I would wait for the new Sony ones, as Rhino really messed up their DVDs. (If you need more info, I posted some reviews of the Rhino versions on my website. The season one review also includes info about the UK sets.)

At Costco, The Transformers The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD also came with a bonus disc that includes the first three episodes of the TV series. This may give some indication as to what the new season sets will look like, but I haven't seen any reviews of this Costco-exclusive bonus disc.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski

Ah, so it is Sony that is doing it, that makes sense. If it is anything like their new TFTM set then i am worried since that release had absolutely wretching compression problems (although great, great extras). I am very curious to see that bonus disk of episodes--if it is Sony produced, then it is undoubtedly the same video files that will be included on the impending release.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
apparently the sony bonus disc had the screwed up audio from the rhino season 1 episodes.

anyone know anything about the chinese wooden box sets, besides the episodes being out of order?

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I picked up the Chinese (Region 0) set on ebay. It comes in a tin and has every episode of the series plus the movie. The masters seem to be the same ones that were used for the Rhino sets. The only downside is you have to turn off the Chinese subtitles each time but its not a big deal. And the price was certainly right compared to what the Rhino sets sell for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks