What's new

Trading Places: If I Was A Distributor (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I am trying to put myself in the position of the various distributors when they are deciding what would be a feasible title to release. Here are the criteria I would use:

1) First and foremost, will it sell? Is it financially advantageous to release it?

2) Is it a recognizable title? Does it have a large enough fan following to merit it's release? (i.e. iconic shows like Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Lucy, etc.) or cult shows (Star Trek, Dr. Who, Dark Shadows, etc.)

3) Is there any name recognition with any or all of the cast of the show and will that be enough to make a release of that show sell? Does this show have a recognizable, saleable star (i.e. Eastwood in Rawhide)

4) Are the potential profits of the release going to offset any music or other licensing issues?

Now, let's use some examples from some of the shows that we are commonly requesting. For the purpose of the post and so as not to risk disparaging any shows that others like, I will only use examples of shows I personally would like released. Let's see how some potential releases measure up to these criteria.

1) Maude - Reportedly has music licensing issues. Appears very dated politically by today's standards. The concept of a liberal woman who speaks her mind was groundbreaking at the time, but certainly not by today's standards (see Nancy Pelosi). The most publicized episode of Maude was when she had the abortion. Again, shocking by early 70's standards but today audiences probably would respond with a resounding "She had an abortion, so what? So did 3 of my cousins, my ex-girlfriend, and the girl down the street." Let's now move on to the name recognition factor. How many people under 35 really know who Bea Arthur is? (Unless of course they saw Airheads). Maude ended 30 years ago. When Golden Girls came out in 86, that show was directed at people 50+ and that was almost 27 years ago so most of their core audience is gone by now

Conclusion - Between the music licensing problems and the lack of a perspective audience large enough to offset it, releasing further seasons of Maude is not in the best financial interests of the distributor.

Batman - Many licensing and rights issues. Most likely would require a huge investment to get them resolved. Immensely popular cult iconic show, Core audience very vocal and ready to buy. Casting doesn't matter. because.....It's Batman

Conclusion - Are you kidding? No brainer. It's Batman. Built in audience. Profits potentially staggering. Do what you have to to get it released.

Hawaiian Eye - Reported music licensing problems. b/w detective show from early 60's. Genre not a big seller in brick and mortar outlets. Niche audience probably confined to MOD buyers Early 60's detective shows seem dull today to a generation raised on C.S.I. and NCIS. Robert Conrad a marketable star 30 years ago but again now has little name recognition with people under 40 today.

Conclusion - Niche audience sales not enough to offset music licensing fees. Not worthwhile to release

And PURELY for fun, I'll throw in my favorite show:

Run For Your Life - Hour long three season show from the mid 60's. Great acting by Gazzara. Good scripts to offset bad location footage. Universal should give it up for peanuts.

Conclusion - Release the whole thing in a complete set. Extras, promos, interviews, and whatever else you can find. Put it out tomorrow. He's Brad "Freakin" Wesley from Roadhouse. Everybody knows him. Huge sales.

Seriously though, I can't adequately stress the importance of name recognition. Once we get over a certain age, some of us tend to forget how much time has passed since the folks we thought as staples of TV (Ebsen, Conrad, Garner, etc.) has been popular figures that would bring in potential buyers. I'm fairly certain that if I start screaming for the later season of Knot's Landing that stars Ava Gardner, the 25-30 year old kid at the distributor making the decision about what to release would have to look her up on Wikipedia right after he said, "Who?"

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Frank Soyke said:
Early 60's detective shows seem dull today to a generation raised on C.S.I. and NCIS.
The thing I like about watching older cop/detective shows from the 60's and 70's, is seeing how things were done before computers and modern forensics (DNA, etc ...) were commonly used.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Frank Soyke said:
Seriously though, I can't adequately stress the importance of name recognition. Once we get over a certain age, some of us tend to forget how much time has passed since the folks we thought as staples of TV (Ebsen, Conrad, Garner, etc.) has been popular figures that would bring in potential buyers. I'm fairly certain that if I start screaming for the later season of Knot's Landing that stars Ava Gardner, the 25-30 year old kid at the distributor making the decision about what to release would have to look her up on Wikipedia right after he said, "Who?"
Even names can fade away relatively quickly, whether in general popularity and/or market "value".

For example:

How much popular culture gravitas does Paris Hilton still have these days? :cool:

How many former American Idol winners (and contestants) are still around in the public spotlight with rockstar careers playing huge stadium concerts (besides Carrie Underwood) ?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
jcroy said:
The thing I like about watching older cop/detective shows from the 60's and 70's, is seeing how things were done before computers and modern forensics (DNA, etc ...) were commonly used.
I have my kids hooked on Rockford Files and we watch it on Netflix pretty frequently. It always tickles me how that Jim has to find a payphone somewhere to call from. That was how it was done back then. You didn't have an iPhone 5 to whip out and call the police. You used a landline phone!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks