What's new

Towers VS Bookshelfs (1 Viewer)

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
In your opinion/experience, which (and why) is better when dealing with imaging, soundstage and other relevant characteristics? (you know what I want to know, which is more "musical"?, whatever that means).

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
i have some tower speakers mind you i know nothign about imaging and whatnot but i cansay that the towers compared to my bookshelf and floor standers the towers dont give off as much lows but they do have a nice clear sound depending on size of room ive found they give a more "live" feeling to the music and thats with a POS reciver ;)

Pete Gia

Stunt Coordinator
I`ve tried towers(Paradigms),can`t remember the model#(61/2" woofers) very good sound. I then bi-amped these speakers with identical power amps--this improved the sound. The problem was,I couldn`t get the low-end "kick" I was looking for from this setup. Only one thing left to do----61/2" "bookshelves" on stands,with a 10" acoustic-suspension sub,with it`s own power and 4th order x-over.This is IT!! This setup allows me to by-pass the tone controls on the bookshelves,and balance the sub with them "just-right". Of course,the towers vs bookshelves debate comes down to a matter of personal preference. Good Luck-----Pete

Valerie Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I have JBL N38s (3-Way/8" Tower) and N28s (2-Way/8" Bookshelf?). I find the the N38/N28s to be complimentary to each other.

The N38s are more detailed, but the N28s definitely add more to the bottom end.

They definitely sound better together, than apart.

Stephen_E

Grip
Well, an an owner of Infinity speakers that belong in the same series but in tower and bookshelf form ( The RS-5 towers and RS-3 bookshelves ) i find that the bookshelves give off better midrange and bass. The tweeter acts about the same in both. If i turn off the RS-5's built in amp'd 8inch subwoofer and just let the 6.5inch + tweeter play with the same 6.5inch + tweeter in the RS-3 i get more "depth" in the sound with the bookshelf RS-3.. i can point the finger at the lack of a port for the RS-5's 6.5inch woofer compared to the ported RS-3..

i realise this may have way to many variables in it to draw any concrete conlusion from, but it will give you some insight into things to look for in comparision of the two.

btw, in HT usage with the RS-5's subs engaged, the set compliments itsself greatly, however i am looking to gain an extra set of RS-3's for use as a front set for music.

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
I would also consider what receiver and sub you would/might be using. Blending bass into any speaker can be tricky unless you have the right equipment or room treatments. Most people don't spend as much time considering placement within the room,seating arrangements, and crossover points on the electronics vs speaker capability either. Therefor ,for the vast majority of people, the floorstanders might just be more "musical" simply due to their unwillingness to marry bookshelf and sub properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks