What's new

Tough Choice : Re Getting a pet (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

This is an unfair statement. Declawing is also for the benefit of your small children (if you have any). It is a safe procedure which has no negative effects on the cat. Same as neutering or spaying a cat. It saves you a lot of trouble down the road if you cats live indoors.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
You know, they say that dogs have owners, but cats have staff. ;)
A couple of years ago, after my girlfriend moved out (topic for another thread), I had seriously considered getting a pet as I just needed some company in my apartment.
I have to admit to being a dog person though... but the idea of raising a puppy and not being there for it during the better part of the day (I work all day, and spend most evenings in the gym) didn't sit well with me. If I'm going to have a dog, I want to be there to care for it and show it love, especially during the early years. So along came the idea of getting a cat.
A cat would have been perfect for me in my living arrangements. I'd be there to give it a lot of attention, but not the constant attention that a dog would require.
But...
One other thing to keep in mind is that some people are allergic to cats. However, even if you or somebody in your family has had an allergic reaction to some cats in the past, this does not mean you will necessarily have an allergic reaction to all cats.
It's funny, but when I was younger I didn't seem to have any problem with cats. About five years ago however, I started to notice that my eyes & throat would itch and my nose would get stuffy if I came into direct contact with one. I can handle it for a little while, but it gets kind of irritating for prolonged periods of time.
Any idea of the kind of cat I wouldn't be allergic to? I'm hoping it's not just the hairless "Mr. Bigglesworth" type... ewww....
Moe.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Max,
From what I can tell, the google search has yielded results for genetically engineered allergy free cats...
Does this mean that I might be able to buy a kitty in the future that might be able to do my taxes as well? Maybe shoot some hoops with me? Cook me dinner? Take out the trash? Use the toilet? Do the dishes? Drive the kids to school?
Hmmm... :D
Moe.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Do any of you have experience with having a cat on a college campus? I'm not living in a dormitory per se, but rather a residential hall complex. I have my own studio room with a bathroom, but I share a kitchenette with one other "suitemate".

Technically I think we're not allowed to have pets in these halls, but the lease papers are ambigious enough to have pet deposit clauses because there's other types of housing (family) available on this campus.

I've been thinking of getting a cat, but I wonder if they can legally kick me off campus if the Housing Office discovers a pet.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Is it safe for a cat to live on campus? A bunch of drunken students partying after finals might "play" with your poor cat. Plus, with all the people going in and out, there is a good chance that someone will steal kitty...

Moe: If cats could do that, it would add a whole new meaning to "chasing p***y".

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Declawing a cat very much is mutilation. As noted, it's the equivalent of amputating one's fingers at the final joint; claws are a part of a cat's anatomy, not the feline equivalent of human fingernails.

Remember, a cat is a breathing, living being with emotions and personality; he or she is not property. As such, one should accommodate one's environment to the cat, not the other way around. Otherwise, do not adopt a cat.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I see your point, Jack, I really do.

On the other hand, if declawing were illegal (treated as animal cruelty), there would be hundreds of thousands of more cats put to sleep each year.

I see both sides.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Is it safe for a cat to live on campus? A bunch of drunken students partying after finals might "play" with your poor cat. Plus, with all the people going in and out, there is a good chance that someone will steal kitty...
Where I live is extremely quiet and pretty darn safe, considering there's a military presence. ;)
Nobody but me has access to my room. There is no abundance of traffic, like ever. (Shh about my social life, already!)
I'm still wondering if I could get into big trouble having a cat, though. Not too likely that anyone would spot it and rat me out, but still. I can't really afford to move off campus until Fall.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In response to the original post...

Why not get another pet, like a fish or a gerbil? They're smaller, won't damage anything, and are equally responsibility-free...I mean, independent.

Or you could find an old Tamagochi pet.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I think the personality is what I'm after. Fish and gerbils just don't have the same appeal as cats and dogs do for me.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
depends on the fish, a lot of the saltwater fish have a LOT of personality, but you're looking at a large tank and a lot of $$.
some of the tangs are a lot like dogs, I've heard of them begging for food, flipping water around on the surface when hungry, once the fish get to "know" you when you come up to the tank they come out and get in your face so you can't see anything instead of hiding in the rocks, lol.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ok that is just nuts for a landlord to charge an extra fee PER month to have a pet in your house. Sure I can see charging a non-refundable deposit since the apartment will most likely need additional cleaning. Heck I can even see charging another $150 that is refundable but to simply charge an extra per month fee.... For what? If someone has pets in an apartment and they do damage then go after the tenants in court. If they dont like that then just dont allow pets at all.
------------------------------------------------------------

I have rented out a basement suite in my house. I do not consider it unreasonable to charge a reasonable extra fee for keeping a pet. The potential for pet caused damage to a suite or apartment is high. Even a well behaved pet can cause damage that a simple cleaning doesn't fix. I would prefer not to have to hound somebody in court for damages. I could have stipulated "no pets" like the majority does, but it doesn't seem reasonable to deny a person a place to live based merely on the fact that they have an animal companion. On the other hand, the pet owner should realize the potential for higher wear and tear on the living quarters and not be too surprised if it they have to pay a slightly higher fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks