What's new

Total Recall : Special Ed. -- -- New Packaging?? (1 Viewer)

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
I bought artisan's new rambo dvd, first blood actually, and upon inspecting the booklet i noticed that on the back there are a bunch of artisan's top-line catalog tiles. The good news is that there is a pic of the Reservoir Dogs dvd and under it says "Available August 2002". But there is also a pic of the 'Total Recall' dvd and it looks like a normal alpha/keep case version with the banner Special Edition across the top. I've held off buying this movie because of the horribly cheesy packaging(Mars metal tin--give me a break) and if this is now available with some sort of normal packaging, well, i'm in.
unfortunately i went to about 6 different places today looking all around for a copy and all i found was that dreadful limited edition tin....
has anyone have any more info on this?
has anyone seen the "regular" alpha/keep-case version?
or am i just going crazy:frowning:

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
Ryan,
The packaging you're speaking of in regards to Total Recall is lovingly referred to as the "monkey butt" by HTF members. Most agree it is horrible.

I have the new Special Edition of Total Recall and it is in the keepcase you mention. I remember buying it about four months ago at Walmart.

Hope that helps,

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
"The packaging you're speaking of in regards to Total Recall is lovingly referred to as the "monkey butt" by HTF members."
No, it's the Baboon's Ass Edition! :D
I picked up the regular keep case version a couple months ago at...gasp...Wallmart. I was holding out for it, as I was not going to have a baboon's ass sitting on my DVD rack!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I also bought the keepcase edition at Walmart. I know there has been a price drop on it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Lay off the baboon's ass! I made sure to get one of these before it was replaced by the boring regular case! This is a valuable limited edition collector's item and is a very treasured item of mine! OK, maybe not, but I'm still a sucker for limited editions and that's why I bought this :)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Damn...:frowning:
...and to think, I actually like the baboon's ass tin! Thought it was different than a plain jane dvd case.
But, then again, Legends' case is different and, it sucks!

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Kinda like those big tins that Heathers, Evil Dead 2, and a bunch of other movies were available in. Look pretty but are a pain since they don't fit in my rack at all. At least they won't roll around like the babboon ass tin.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I thought the Mars tin was really original. If you just keep it sitting in the cardboard holder it comes in it will fit nicely on your shelf just like any other DVD.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I like the tin also. It is hard to keep it in the box if it's not on a shelf, but at least it's original. I thought the "mars face" was cool little bonus also.

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Got the normal version at Target for $14.99. They had the baboons ass version too, but I think all the cardboard holders were smashed.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...I have been on the lookout for Keepcase versions of both TOTAL RECALL and BASIC INSTINCT-SEs ever since they were announced to have come out, yet all I ever see at various stores are the special packages...

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I like to Mars tin. I'm a sucker for specialty packaging. :)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
They had the Basic Instinct UNRATED Special Edition in the regular keepcase (not that weird clear ice thing) advertised in the Best Buy flyer today.

First time I've seen this!

DarrenA

Second Unit
Everyone who has bought the regular keepcase version of Total Recall:SE, did yours come with the cardboard sleeve that slides over the keepcase? Or was it only the keepcase without any additional secondary cover?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
For those of you interested in the non-special packaging for both TR and BI, I mentioned in the Weekly Roundup that Best Buy's circular this week shows those items as part of a "buy any two of these Artisan titles and save $5 instantly" deal. Each of those two titles are $12.99 before savings, by-the-way.
Your local BB might have old or new packaging, so YMMV. :)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I like my Baboon's Ass case. Of course it sits in a cabinet all alone while my DVD is in a new keepcase with a great coverart that I printed out from one of the threads herein.....

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I just scanned in my old snapper cover from the first edition. The chapters were the same for both versions. Dropped them in a plastic keeper, and sold the old version to a suck...errr friend for $10. :D
My baboon's ass is in the closet, in a box, underneath my sweaters and dress shoes...as far away from me as possible.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Normally I'd like to jump all-over the "Limited edition" packaging while I can. If I had the extra cash back in its day, I could have bought the tin AKIRA. Now the tin is worth obscene money (or was last I checked) , especially, since you can still get the 2-disc version!
So therefore I hold onto my babboon-ass TR, and shipping-crate Wicker Man, not because I like them, but because in a few years they might be worth big bucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks