What's new

Total Movie 40 free Movies - WHEN??? (1 Viewer)

Are these movies ever going to ship? The last posting on the TOTAL MOVIE website dated 1/30/02 said that the discs would probably ship the second week in March. Well it's time. Has anyone heard anything new on a shipping date? (or will it be pushed back another 2 months)

Paul D Young

Second Unit
This is kind of ridiculous since I got the subscription for my wife for Christmas and she wants to know when she is going to get her 40 movies. I think she suspects that I made it up!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I won't be too upset if they never show up. Have you guys seen the list of titles? I would throw a lot of them out because I would be too ashamed to say that I owned them.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
There was no way I was going to spend $40 for this subscription. I got burned from the first publishers of this magazine. I was still owed at least 3 issues. I received one issue from the new publisher and then nothing. I figured I would use the $40 on a couple of movies I really liked and have money left over for a subscripton to a more reliable magazine.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I might have thought about re-subscribing if it were not for the "40 free movies" deal. It lacks credibility, and makes me think of the truism: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." If you get them, great! I stand corrected. However, I remain skeptical.

Kelly W

Second Unit
There was a new update about the 40 movies on Link Removed. Here's what it says:
March 13th, 2002 - After 6 weeks of pressing discs, printing packaging, printing outer boxes to house the DoubleDouble Feature packs, checking proofs, packing discs into their sleeves & packing the sleeves into the outer box, we are told that finished product is set to ship to us either Friday or Saturday. Whew. With typical shipping we will see the 40 movie packs in the Total Movie office by Tuesday or Wednesday. Concurrently we will be preparing mailing labels and readying the 40 Free Movies to arrive in your mail box. It's been a long haul. But, there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. We appreciate everyone's continued patience.
I still have faith in this magazine. I believe they are working very hard to please everyone. (Unlike that jerk Leonard Maltin who still owes me $20!) :) (Well, I'm only HALF-joking.)
-Kelly

Kelly W

Second Unit
Oh, and one more thing...
Over on the DVD Talk forum, there is a Total Movie Customer Service thread (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=175320).
There was just a post by the Total Movie representative on 3/9/02. Here's what they said:
Quick update on all fronts.
1) The next issue should ship to subscribers next week. It will be on newsstands the 19th....though those have shipped already so some newsstands could conceivable have it out already. Subscriber issues take a little longer because of the packed in DVD.
2) UPS labels were prepared Thursday and Friday for the remaining DVD players that are to be shipped out to subscribers who took advantage of that offer.
3) The 40 Free movies should get to us from China at the beginning of the week and be shipped out shortly thereafter.
I know some of you won't beleive this until you get your goods...which is totally fair. Hopefully after this next issue and the 40 free movies ship you will have a higher degree of confidence.
I don't work for Total Movie, but I have been pleased by the job they've done so far. I'm just trying to spread any information that I run across, because there seems to be a lot of confusion and worry.
I hope this helps at least a little bit.
-Kelly

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
The total movie 40 free movies update page says that they are expecting the 40 dvd's, packaged and ready to go today or tomorrow. Then I'm assuming they'll ship out by the end of the week to the beginning of next week, because they were getting the shipping labels ready.

Robyn

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Not going to hold my breath until they show up....haven't even seen a magazine since early December. And with it averaging a good 45 days to get a response from Customer Service email, I quit wasting my time.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I haven't gotten a magazine for a long time either.... last one I got was the one with John Waters.

What a shitty way to run a magazine. These guys are Total Morons.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I was an original subscriber to this the first time around. I got all my issues back then without a problem, but I've only gotten the recent Kelly Hu issue of the reborn run of the magazine. Frankly, I was surprised to see that in my mailbox.

I'm wondering if I'm supposed to recieve these 40 movies, or if that was just for new subscribers.

Thanks,

JiM T

Kelly W

Second Unit
Again, I don't represent Total Movie, but I am an ambassador of good-will. ;)
Jim, I'm quite sure that the 40 movies are only for new subscribers. For those of us who did subscribe, we should be getting our movies within the next couple of weeks.
From the Total Movie representative on 3/27/02:
May/June will be another indie film...a little gem called called Scrapple. The MGM movies are to begin following that. Can't answer the special features question yet. Though we are hopeful that they will include some special features. As soon as I know more I will let you know.
Again, for more information or if you have a specific question, you should check out the customer service thread at DVDTalk (I posted the link in my last post).
-Kelly

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Jim, apparently the 40 movies will not be sent to original subscribers. If you renew your subscription you will receive the movies. Frankly, I'm on the fence about this.

Overall the writing has been a bit too sophmoric for me. (I've received the latest magazine but haven't gone through it yet. Perhaps it will be better.)

-greg

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
InsideDVD + Total Movie Magaz
Just wanted to post that I also received my 03-04/2002 issue today (03/29/02) in the mail.
The only trouble was the wife thought that I had received a 'SoftPron' magazine due to all the near nude photos. She says that their should be equal number of men as women showing skin.. :b
Must say that I really was an 'InsideDVD' subscriber and don't really spend much time with the printed magazine... namely due to the fact that the three issues that I have received.. do not really have 'indepth' reporting. Many of the print stories have me saying "... did I not already read this else where ..."
But the DVD ... it seems as if every time out it just gets better!!
My wife and I really enjoyed the movie 'Omaha'!!
http://www.slamdance.com/mirvish/omaha.html
Just wished that the web links listed on screen on the DVD were also printed in the magazine!
Also as a side notes
Like the fact that they used a plastic slip cover on the DVD this time.. this saved it from getting scratched up!
Just wished that they also sent along an 'Amray' style case cover [as a tear out in the magazine] for people like myself that remove the DVD from the cardboard mailer and store them in these plastic storage boxes.
(maybe somebody here can post a customer made cover as one or two forum members have done in the past??)
Wished that I could get the early issues of 'TOTAL's DVD's [really the "Storm Stooper" Issue!] before 'Total' and 'InsideDVD' joined forces!... I think that I am only missing the first two of the 'InsideDVD' USA DVD's, but understand that they would not play on a stand-alone DVD player any way.
--David
Parts of this posting were also posted in the 'DVDTALK' forum.. but I added more thoughts here.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They have a list at total-movie.com but it looks like it's changed since I ordered several months ago. "Fantasic Planet" doesn't seem to be on the list anymore, which was the main one that got me to go for this deal. There's still a few others that sound good though, and I'll watch all of them anyway.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
I think that I am only missing the first two of the 'InsideDVD' USA DVD's, but understand that they would not play on a stand-alone DVD player any way.

I have the 2nd Issue, 3rd, and 4th issues of InsideDVD. They are DVD-10s, with the film on one side and the "magazine content" on the other.

The "film side" works with most stand-alone DVD players.

The "magazine side" does work with most stand-alone DVD players, albeit the 2n Issue had limited DVD player access. The latter issues let all DVD player access 99% of the content.

I also have Issues 5 & 6 but stop subscribing when they started asking for me to pay.

Here is a rundown of the films InsideDVD sent out:

1st Issue - Telling Lies in America, Kevin Bacon starring.

2nd Issue - The Big Squeeze, Lara Flynn Boyle starring. Had a static menu & optional 3D interactive menu and trailer.

3rd Issue - Infinity, Matthew Broderick starring. Slightly animated menu with optional audio commentary by Matthew Broderick & Patricia Broderick

4th Issue - The Little Shop of Horrors(1960), Jonathan Haze starring. Animated menu only.

The 4th Issue is when they stopped providing independent titles and started sending out public domain titles.

The 5th Issue is when they began sending InsideDVD in keepcases and started using two discs. The "film" disc was a DVD-5 while the "magazine" disc was a DVD-9.

5th Issue - Scrooge...Don't know anything about this. Public domain title with real poor video. Couldn't stand to hurt my eyes eatching it. Did have a "fireplace video" and interactive quiz as supplements though.

6th Issue - The Last Time I Saw Paris, starring Elizabeth Taylor. Decent video quality for a public domain title. An interactive quiz was the only supplements.

After the 6th Issue, they merged with Total Movie to make Total Movie & Entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks