What's new

Toshiba's HDMI Cable? (1 Viewer)

JimmyMac

Auditioning
Real Name
James Mc Connell
I'm a new guy to the forum and this is my first post. ;)

I have the Toshiba HD-D1. I'm definitely glad I made the plunge into HD-DVD.
Should I upgrade the HDMI cable that came with my unit or save myself some money?
I appreciate any feedback since I'm still a novice in home theater.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Welcome to the HTF JimmyMac! :)

IMO I think you should save your money and not upgrade the HDMI cable. I tend to stay away from upgrading cables to very expensive higher end models (ex. $120 stereo audio cables... ummmmmmmmmmm, I don't think so) because honestly my eyes and ears can't tell a difference. Even if it does, the difference is so small that the cost does not justify the so-called "increase in performance." The cable that is supplied by the HD-A1 does a superb job IMO.

Use the money you saved to buy some HD-DVD titles instead.

BTW, what do you think of your HD-A1 and HD-DVD overall so far?

JimmyMac

Auditioning
Real Name
James Mc Connell
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info. I felt the same way but just wanted to run it by some experts.:)

Harminder: I like my HD-D1 so far. I still have a weak subwoofer output for HD-DVD tittles using the 5.1 analog out. Tried most of the suggestions offered here and offer forums but still trial and error. Standard DVD, sounds and looks great on this player.

I have bought U-571 and Enter the Dragon and enjoy them both. I've watched Bourne Supremacy, Chronicles of Riddick, and Swordfish-nice eye candy. I'll use Netflix to determine my next purchase.

How are things in Toronto? I used to live across from Brockville in Northern NY. Always enjoyed my trips to Canada.:emoji_thumbsup:

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
If you liked those titles for eye candy, try out Serenity as well. ;)

Toronto is awesome, you gotta make some trips up here again, especially during the summer time! :D

I've always wanted to visit Arizona, but the furtherest south I've gone in North America is New Jersey LOL.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Jimmy and congratulations on your purchase. Digital connections either work or they don’t—use your money for some new HD-DVDs. :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

But those 0's and 1's will be so much more crisp with an expensive hdmi cable. :D

Regards

Terry-A

Agent
Real Name
Terry Anderson
welcome to the land of HDDVD,
upgrade that HDMI cable jimmy....you get what you pay for....the people who are telling you to not upgrade are probably running 20ga home depot zip cord with 200 wpc amps to there speakers...now you wouldn't do that ...WOULD YOU?????

JimmyMac

Auditioning
Real Name
James Mc Connell
Hey Terry,
Thanks for your imput. I run 14 gauge speaker wire to my speakers even though the longest run is about 15 feet from the amp. From my understanding as a home theater novice, analog transmission signals might require better quality cables to keep out RF and EMI interference, long wire runs over 25ft, as well as sending the signal undistorted.

I did do an experiment with my 5.1 analog outs with my universal DVD-A/ SACD player using the cheap red and white RCA cables connected to my Onkyo 989 receiver. I did a sound comparison using better quality analog cables and even using two sets of component cables and to be honest I couldn't discern the difference between any of the three. I ran my DVD-A discs at 192/24, 5.1-96/24, and the DD tracks for my test. I add this point because audio performance is just as important to me as the video presentation.

I also did a comparison using my old Pioneer at 480P using the component output compared to the Toshiba using 1080i thru HDMI; the Toshiba had a better picture especially when it came to color rendition.

What HDMI cable do you use?

Since I currently only have a 720 DLP watching at a distance of 14 feet, I'm definitely not getting the full benefit of 1080 from the Toshiba player. Once I upgrade to a 1080 display along with a bigger screen size (65"+), I might be able to see if the Toshiba cable is lacking. At this point the picture looks great for HD-DVD and upconverting on standard DVD.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Jim

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Hi -- I just need some clarification on this one point:

The Toshiba HD-A1 DOES come with an HDMI cable included, correct?

I know the answer to this should seem obvious to anyone reading this thread, but I haven't seen this listed in the product description online or on the unit's packaging in the store. I just need to have this confirmed.

If it does indeed come with the HDMI cable, I'm off to buy one tonight. (Budget is tight and having to buy an additional cable was one of my excuses for holding off.)

Thanks in advance!

Mark

JimmyMac

Auditioning
Real Name
James Mc Connell
Hey Mark,
Yes the Toshiba units come supplied with an HDMI cable so save your money and buy more HD tittles.:)

Welcome to the club.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Jim

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Let us know how it all turns out! Alot of us like myself love to read about the impressions of new owners. :)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Welcome to the Forum, Jimmy!

Concerning HDMI, my parents learned the hard way (by believing a Best Buy sales manager) that a Monster reference HDMI cable ($140) gives you 10x better audio & video than a $25 RCA HDMI cable from Wal-Mart, or a (don't know the price) less expensive Acoustic Research cable. Apparently the sales manager also said he owned his own A/V business and had been doing sales and custom install for over 20 years so he knew what he was talking about. If he actually DID own his own business at one time, I'm pretty sure the outright lies and misinformation is what made him go under and become a sales manager. Maybe he's a Navy SEAL too... :wink:

Anyway, the point I'm making is like so many others have said. In the digital realm, cables are cables. They simply transport 1s and 0s from point A to point B. No more, no less. This has actually been accomplished using a metal coathanger and the results were the same as using an expensive digital audio cable. Analogue, however is a different can of worms...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks