What's new

Toshiba...Toss-Up??? (1 Viewer)

Brett Sw

Agent
Long story short...The wife finally conceeded in the purchase of a new widescreen. Anyway...My dilemma is between the Toshiba 51HX83 & 51HX93. Is the 51HX93 Cinema Series worth the extra money? What are the benefits/selling points of the HX93 over the HX83??? I don't have much in the way of extreme HTS, but have an Onkyo HTS-650 HTiB, Sony NC6515 5-Disc DVD, PS2, Old Pioneer PD-M450 CD Player, Sharp VCR and Dish Network 301 waiting for this Toshiba. It will probably be the last toy for awhile since the wife is 5 months prego, so this purchase counts!!! Any help would sure be appreciated...

Also any help on a budget Surge Protector? Monster HTS-850s are regularly NIB on Ebay for half MSRP. Thanks...

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The HX93 has a built-in ATSC digital TV receiver. This will receive over-the-air digital TV signals and possibly cable HD signals too, provided they are not encrypted. The '93 also adds better lenses, a front panel memory card reader, a 56-point user convergence system, and Gemstar interactive program guide.

Brett Sw

Agent
Two questions...Is the memory card similar to the Sony Memory Stick? Will the program guide support Dish Network? Other than that it sounds like the '93 is the one...

JohnSni

Grip
For my money I'd buy the 57H83, convert to DirecTV and buy a DirecTV/OTA HD receiver, such as the Zenith SAT 520. The program guide is incredible and seamlessly joins analog, HD and Sat channels into one guide...it can even separate sports, movies, etc.

I have this current system and it rocks.

You can get the TV for $1799 - maybe less. Look for the Zenith on Ebay...you will have to contact Directv for a new card.

Brett Sw

Agent
The fella whom I'm working with on buying the TV is an independent A/V guy that custom installs one HTS at at time. He's sold and installed both Dish Net and DirectTV and swears up and down by DirectTV. My contract is up in mid Jan. so I might jsut take that step to Direct TV...

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Will the program guide support Dish Network? Other than that it sounds like the '93 is the one...
No, it won't. The program guide would be for cable and off-air digital reception only. If you don't WANT or need off-air digital reception, then you might want to consider the HX83 instead.

Brett Sw

Agent
Thanks John...Ordering today!!! Not the perfect time of the year to be ording a TV that's not a Christmas present. Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks