Playing one particular DVD shuts down DVD Player and Receiver

melchioe

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Melchior
I have a Yamaha DV-C6480 5-disc player hooked into a Yamaha HTR-5500 receiver. It functions very well for everything I've ever tossed at it.

I recently put in "The Santa Clause" (first movie in the series) and in scene 4, right when Tim Allen says "Let's Go" and the reindeer take off, the entire setup powers off - both the DVD player AND the reciever. They don't just stop playing, the entire units fully powers off and the Yamaha panel display goes dark. It happens suddenly - no dimming, no hesitations, just OFF.

If I turn it back on, it plays fine until the precise point it shut off before. This particular disc works perfectly in 3 different handheld players, two other DVD players hooked up to a TV - an Onkyo DPS-5, and an AMW mini system (I know, AMW = junk, heard it before, but it was free), and works fine on at least 4 separate PCs - two Sonys, Toshiba, and an Alienware.

This has never happened with any of the thousands of discs that have run through this unit. This is the only one we've ever had a problem with. We've watched several movies in the Yamaha since that with no problems.

I made a backup copy on a working PC, and put it back in the Yamaha. It went past the shutoff point, my wife and I cheered, and then 10 seconds later it crashed again. All my copying did was to move the precise shutoff point to a few seconds later.

I've cleaned the disc, cleaned the lens on the Yamaha, and there has been no change. Still shuts off as clean as if someone yanked the power plug. I've completely sealed off the IR receptor to eliminate stray IR signals. Tonight I'll try swapping out the DVD player for the Onkyo DPS-5, but am wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this.

Any ideas?

melchioe

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Melchior
Well, the problem expanded to some other DVDs. I swapped out the DVD player and the problem remained - it's the receiver. (and my 3-year extended warranty expired 2 months ago...) It's the receiver that powers off, and the DVD player was plugged into a switched outlet on the back of the receiver, so that's why both of them went down at the same time.

So now I get to go out and buy a new receiver! Yaay! I'm kinda partial to Yamaha stuff - anyone have any opinions on the current yamaha line? I don't need multiple speaker zones or stuff like that, although the iPod dock for some of their units looks nice...

-e-

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Check the Back and insure no speaker wires are touching each other or gronding out on metal.
Sources wouldn't make it turn off, there either something shorting out or something internally wrong.So if everything looks ok try this if you want.
Play FM radio and see if it turns off about the same amount of time.
If it does hook up just the L & R and try playing FM radio for a while and see if it turns off
If it still does disconnect everything but the 2 speakers and try again.
If it still does either repair or buy something else.

Hope this helps and good luck
Grant

melchioe

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Melchior
Grant, all excellent suggestions.
I can play TV, radio, and iPod through this receiver for hours on end. Absolutely no problems. Most movies are fine as well.

I checked the speaker wires while I was re-wiring for the substitute DVD player yesterday, and all there was perfect (I have all of my speaker wire tinned and flattened a bit to prevent stray wires and still make good contact).

I will give the two-speaker thing a try tonight.

The thing that (to me) argues against speakers or speaker wires being part of the problem is that it happens at precisely the same point in a movie, over and over, without touching the unit or disturbing it in any way.

I think there is something in the receiver circuitry that's blooey - the scenes that make it die seem to be the beginnings of intense scenes, surround-sound wise. Other, more sedate movies (like White Christmas or Bells of St. Mary's) play through to the end with no problems.

But the suggestion about disconnecting the speakers is worth a shot. Who knows if there might be a short somewhere else in the wiring. Maybe I can pin it to a particular speaker or the subwoofer.

-e-

melchioe

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Melchior
Well, I completely unplugged all speakers, and disconnected everything else from the unit except the monitor out and the DVD in, and it still shuts itself down at the exact same points in particular movies. This still happens with 2 different DVD players. I think it's isolated to the receiver unit. Now I'm trying to figure out if it's worth repairing or if I should just buy a new unit.

Anyone have any ideas on the "findability" of an intermittent issue like this? Well, I suppose it's not intermittent, since it is reproducable, but I don't want to toss good money down the drain in a futile effort to get something fixed and then replace it anyway...

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
very interesting. Is the receiver configured, in any way whatsoever, to control the DVD player?

For instance, Is there an IR cable connecting the player to the receiver? Is the player plugged into one of the receiver's switched outlets?

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
There might be something in the surround mix that is causing all speakers to fire at full power at the same moment. If so, then most likely the receiver is going into auto-protect mode. Try the DVD with a different soundtrack, stereo if possible and leave the receiver in stereo mode. If it plays fine then, the auto-protect is probably what it is.

Good luck.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I checked the info at Yamaha and it doesn't seem like any control data cables go between the 2 units, correct?

I assume you have it connected digitally, can you see if it happens via analog only?
The only thing I can surmise there might be some Yamaha control data it modulates over the digitall signal that other units would just ignore since they are looking at normal audio frequencies.
Does the manual say anything about a control data signal?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mianharamii