What's new
World Wide Stereo

toshiba TN55X81 convergence issues (1 Viewer)

marciolsf

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcio Silveira
Hello all!

I found your forum through some googling,.. I found lots of pretty knowledgeable folks on rptv setups, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

I've recently (yesterday!) inherited a toshiba tn55x81 set. The set is in great shape, except for some serious convergence issues. I was able to adjust the red and blue with the regular convergence menu, so those are fine. But I'm also having some pincussion issues on the lower third of the screen, particularly in the center of the bottom third, and a little bit on the top right of the screen. After some searching, I found out about the service menu, where I can do such feats as converging the green color (which some have indicated to leave alone), and also modify the geometry, which I would hope can solve the pincussion problem. This particular page seems to hold a lot of information on the process --> http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/servicemenu/servicemenu.html

Am I on the right track? Can this be fixed via geometry adjustments or will I just have to cough up the money and buy the replacement ICs? What should I watch out for as I navigate the service menu?

728x90

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Your convergence ICs have probably failed.

Adjustments rarely change on their own.

Leave them alone so things will pop back to normal once the new chips are installed.

marciolsf

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcio Silveira
Thanks for the answers.... any suggestions where I might buy them? I pretty decent with soldering, I'm pretty confident I can take that on myself.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Soldering is easy, de-soldering can be harder - neatness counts.

A read here should be helpful.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-repair-maintenance/5600-crt-based-rptv-convergence-repairs.html

They also link to some parts distributors.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-repair-maintenance/4396-repair-parts-distributors.html

MCM is pretty good and deals with anyone at pretty much the same price.. Some of the other distributors would sell "net" to me but "retail" to you. (I have an established business, tax ID, etc)

Digi-Key is good for capacitors and small parts in volume.

Herman is OK

I don't like Fox

I deal with Encompass but you would pay extra without an account (Herman and Fox also)

Others I can't offer much advice about

marciolsf

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcio Silveira
Thanks for the links! I just read the whole thread, and now I'm certain that this is a component failure somewhere. I'm going to take a peek inside before I order the parts and see if I can find anything odd-looking (bad solders, busted resistors, etc). Thanks a ton for the suggestion, I'll update the thread with any findings.

marciolsf

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcio Silveira
After reading the whole thread linked above, ordering a set of stk392-150 from mcm and 1 hour worth of soldering, but tv is good as new! The job was fairly easy, the convergence board was sitting on a 6" tall plastic stand so it was quickly located and removed. The original chips were stk392-110, and I replaced both of them. All the resistors around the chips tested ok.

The convergence itself needs a bit of work here and there, as expected, but everything looks fantastic. Much, much thanks to Steve Berger for pointing me in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks