What's new

Toshiba RPTV 540p (1 Viewer)

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator
Got a new Tosh 51hx83 16x9 RPTV and love it. Problem is I don't know if I have the best picture yet. I have the TV and (non-progressive scan) dvd player connected with good component cables. I see he tv menu has a 1080i OR 540p selection. Is this 540p the progressive scan setting for the best DVD picture? I don't need a progressive scan player too do I?
Everything was set up with a S & V calib disc and looks good but the manual is not clear on the 540p thing. I play mostly WS DVDs and want the best picture possible.
:frowning:
Also, which of the 4 selectable picture settings is right to view WS DVDs in their correct aspect. Any Tosh techs out there?

Thanks in advance.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Use Full mode for 16:9 enhanced DVDs.
Use TW 2 for non 16:9 enhanced DVD's but still w/s.

480P from good DVD players is still better than a 480i into the TV.

You cannot avoid the 540P upconversion ... unless you go 1080i upconversion.

Feed it better at the start and you end up with better at the end.

Regards

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
He's asking about the settings in the picture menu. It offers 540P or 1080i, as well as film and video mode.

I'm thinking you should leave the TV in 540P and auto for the film/video, unless you have a source that may switch from one format to the other.

I have tried 540P and 1080i and don't notice a difference. I'm just guessing 540P would offer a more stable picture.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I recommmend a player that can upconvert to 1080i. Toshiba should be releasing its model soon and Bravo its D2. If you can find a non-buggy D1 that would be another way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks