What's new

Share with me the various Idiosyncrasies/Quirks of the various RPTV's if you might (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the process of deciding on a display device that will be used as a Stop-gap for my FPTV purchase in a few years(a compromise I made with the SO).

While I've been told that we wouldn't buy a CRT based RPTV, I have ruled it out due to cost. The other options(plasma, DLP RPTV, and LCD RPTV) are more costly but are smaller(as far as the bulk of the set).

So having not ruled out RPTV's I've decided to due some more research on CRT based RPTV's and see what the individual quirks about them exist such as I know that Toshiba's used to upconvert everything to 540p etc).

So does anyone know what quirks exist on these current RPTV's?

I'm looking at the 55 or 57" sets and the Toshiba sure looks nice but I'm not aware of the quirks of the set. The Mits's have a less than nice cabinet and I've heard the stretch modes aren't good on them. That and they have some severe red push that needs to be corrected as well(or was that on the old sets?)

Can someone help me out here?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Toshibas are known for excellent stretch modes on their 16/9 sets, good line doubling. Toshiba and Hitachi both convert 480p to 540p (Hitachi actuall let's you choose 540p or 1080i, don't know if Toshiba has the 1080i option), Mits and Sony will display native 480p. Mits were known for poor stretch modes, mediocre line doubling, and excessive red push a couple of years ago, but this may not apply to current models. I haven't seen complaints about these characteristics on Mits sets for a while now.

If you want to read about the specific prevalent quirks exhibitted by various makes you might try the brand-specific forums over at Home Theater Spot--lotsa fussy folk over there so don't get too scared.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks