What's new

Toshiba HX93 series price drop. (1 Viewer)

Zak Smith

Auditioning
Hey all,

I am new here but have been reading the posts here for about 2 weeks. I have recently just ordered a new RPTV 2 days ago.

I was going to get a Toshiba 51HX83 but the sales guy at radio shack told me he could get me a 51HX93 for $100 more. Needless to say. I jumped on the deal. Seems he was going to order a 51HX83 in but the Toshiba rep told him that he would sell him the 51HX93 for $100 more so he ordered that one in in stead. The deal was passed on to me because I know the salesman pretty well.

The Toshiba guy said that they are not changing the prices for the MSRP or anything. He even told the salesman to make a few extra hundred dollars on the sale for himself.

So if you ask around and get the sales guys to phone their Toshiba reps maybe you two can get a good deal. Who knows. Maybe the Toshiba guy in our area has a few that he has to move. I am just glad to get the deal.

Final deal. Toshiba 51HX93 Cinema Series Pro for $3000 tax included. I also got him to through in a set of component video cables. Good deal?

I like that this TV has 56 point manual convergence.

It's also in February's issue of Home Theater Magazine. Kicked ass in a 10 HDTV review.

Zac.

HoiT

Agent
Zak,

Interesting!! I am going to buy the same TV too. The article in Home Theatre Mag finalised my decision. BTW, where about are you located (I am in Toronto, Canada). Keep me posted on your comments and evaluations of the 51HX93. Enjoy!!

HoiT

Zak Smith

Auditioning
I am in the Northwest Territories. No Dave the salesman was not in a white van. Authorized Radio Shack dealer.

Hope others can get the deal as well.

Zac.

Hello All,

I would just like to know if the 51hx83 has the same Niltava Lens as the 51hx93 does? I have read the Toshiba catalog and it states the 51hx83 having ShortWing Lenses. Are these two the same or similar? Also what confuses me is that I visited Futureshop and they have the 51HX83 as having the Niltava lenses...I'm confused!!!!!

Dennis

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
HX83 has the "Shortwing" lenses and the HX93 has the "Niltava" lenses. The Niltava lenses are superior.

Last year, the 'X82 models all had Niltava lenses (except for the 42"), so that's where FS is likely confused - or at least that's where they'll claim to be confused.

Hello JohnnyG and Everybody,

O.K. I understand your point on the differense between Hx83 and Hx93s:

"Niltava" lens = Superior
"Shortwing lens = less Superior

But I got another one for you!
I was browsing Toshiba.ca and states that the HX93s have:

Pegasus IV CRTs and
Niltava lens

Next, I went to Toshiba.com and it states that the HX93s have:

PowerFocus™ HD4 CRTs and the
PowerFocus™ HCF Achromatic Lens System

So I'm still confused! Are we Canadians getting a "Superior" or less "Superior" T.V. set than our fellow Americans? Or are they both the same shyte? Please help me out guys!

Thanks,

Dennis

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
For some reason, there's a difference in marketing lingo between Toshiba US and Toshiba Canada, but they are the same parts.

"Niltava" is the name given to the lens by it's manufacturer, 3M Optics. "Pegasus" is name given to the CRT by the division of Toshiba that manufacturers it.

NghiaTran

Agent
$3000 for the 51hx93? I am in disbelief! My local Conn's is selling the 57hx93 for only $2299! However they dont carry the 51hx93 but the 57 could be had for substantially less. They had a Presidents Day sale for the 57 for 2199! Maybe they are unaware the price of this tv. Does anyone know of a bad "batch" of the 57hx93 going around? Do you think maybe there is a mistake in their pricing? I was planning to buy it but I was a little skeptical with the price. SOmetimes when something is too good to be true, it is. Will someone please ease my mind.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Nghia:

The original post was made back in January. Looks like they have continued to drop in price as you can get the 51HX93 through One Call in a GotApex deal for around $1,800 plus shipping here.

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Shane thanks for the clarification. He did post about it in January though and the prices have continued to drop both in Canada and the US.

Parker

HoiT

Agent
Yup!! The price keep dropping. Do not forget, the original 3000 cdn price included 2 taxes which totals 15%. I have just checked very recently, I can get a 51HX93 for less than 2800 cdn (again tax included) here in Toronto. I am going to get one when price come down further. May be in September when Toshiba stop making their CRT RPTVs.

HoiT

NghiaTran

Agent
I apologize for not looking at the date. With all said and done, how do you guys like your HX93's? I am seriously looking to buy either that or the Mitsu Diamonds and just cannot come to a final decision. I would appreciate any feedback. Does anyone have it paired with a Denon 2900?

HoiT

Agent
To Nghia,

The HX93's are grest RPTV. In issune of Home the March issue of Home Theatre Mag HD TV shoot out. The 57" (or 61" I do not remembered) HX93 beat out 9 other HD TVs, including the 60" Sony LCD RPTV. AT current price, it is a great bargain. The only drawback, to me, is its bulk.

To JohnnyG

According to the new release at CES in January, it is September 2004.

HoiT

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
You're saying there exists a press release from Toshiba that states they will stop making CRT based RPTVs in September 2004? Show me.

They will introduce 3 DLP-based models this year, but CRT based sets will continue on for at least the next 2 model years.

HoiT

Agent
Thanks Parker!!

I am very curious about the SED technology. Suppose to work as well, if not better, than CRT and without the bulk and consume much less electricity. Can't wait.

HoiT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks