What's new

Toshiba 65h81 Possible problem (need help) (1 Viewer)

TrevorG

Auditioning
I have just received the set and I so far have went throught the SVM disabling and doing the service menu convergence. I also did the electrical focus which also helped. Which by the way was very bad out of the box along with severe bowing. Anyway, this is now as close to perfect as I can get it. I have a Panasonic H1000 connected to it and it looks stunning!!
Here is a description of a possible issue:
There is a 4 or 5 inch horizontal line that is less than 1cm.wide. It is in the middle and 5 inches to the left of the screen It is only noticable during brighter scenes but, it is alwys there. It seems to be a brighter line (spot) on the screen and now that I noticed I am obsessing on it. It happens on ALL inputs and also cable or Dish. It is difficult to see but, It is definetely there. Is this something I should have looked at or is there something I can try to help this problem (if it is one) any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
[Edited last by TrevorG on September 04, 2001 at 11:02 AM]

Erik Welty

Auditioning
Hi Trevor,
The problem that you're describing sounds a lot like the Toshiba "ghostline" and apparently is a design flaw in the current incarnations of the Toshiba widescreen sets. With the **H80 sets, the "ghostline" was usually a little off center and ran vertically from top to bottom on the screen. I had a 65H80 which had this problem along with "raster ringing", which manifests as dark vertical bars on the left and right sides of the screen during dark scenes. Basically, there was almost always a visible flaw showing while the set was projecting. The set has been replaced with a Mits 65" Diamond.
Sadly, every **H80 set that I had the opportunity to see had the ghostline problem. I know that a lot of people were hopeful that it would disappear with the redesigned **H81 sets. It's really a shame that this problem persists because, other than the occassional quality issue, the Toshiba widescreens are a stellar value and generally great performing sets.
Good luck,
Erik

TrevorG

Auditioning
Bob
Yes, I had the tech out the other day and it turned out to be a minor issue. The screen was not cut properly (i.e. not cut deep enough) in that area and the tech ordered a replacement. I was glad it was nothing major. I am still very happy I chose the Toshiba.
I am still stunned by the qulity of the picture.

Bob Ruby

Auditioning
Trevor,
Glad to hear it was a minor problem.
I'm very close to biting the bullet when the 65hx81s are available.
Since we're in the same general area, who is the local service provider for the Toshiba sets?
Thanks,
Bob
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks