What's new

Toshiba 57HX81 and future standards (1 Viewer)

KeithL

Auditioning
Hello,

I ordered a Toshiba 57HX81 which I should be receiving soon. Now, I see all these discussions on the new copy protection schemes which may take place in the future. I saw that there were enormous threads dedicated to this subject, so my question is very specific and not aimed at the whole argument about what may be coming and, if so, when.

I watch very little broadcast television and purchased the TV mostly for DVDs. I also have a cable TV hookup, not sattelite. While I thought I may get satellite eventually since it's the same price as cable and supposedly better, this isn't an important thing to me. Can someone tell me exactly what is being proposed as using this DVI hookup with copy protection? Is it only to receive signals from satellites, or will I be totally unable to watch any TV, including cable?

Basically, if I can watch cable TV, whether HDTV or not, I'll be happy. If I find out that this TV will be 100% unable to accept cable or satellite signals if the proposed standards are put into place, I'm going to cancel the order.

I'd appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Keith

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
From what I understand DVI only concerns future digital connections to HDTV devices such as DBS-HDTV, HDTV, or cable receivers. The set will work with current HDTV devices with analog outputs, but in the future if say a satellite receiver has a digital output it might not have analog inputs to. That would mean you would not be able to use a device with just digital inputs. So from what I understand the only thing you will miss is the possibilty of receiving HDTV signals from a device with digital outputs. No matter what you will always be able to get signals from an antenne.

KeithL

Auditioning
Thanks from the reply. I hope I don't get stuck just using an antennae. I suspect I should at least be able to continue to receive some sort of analog signal at least from the cable company, albeit not high def, if this new scheme comes to pass.

I've read that the transition to hdtv must be complete by 2006, and that old fashioned, existing sets will need a decoder box to recieve any signal, although they obviously won't see a better picture since the tv isn't high def. If my Toshiba ends up in that category, I'd be fine with that.

From some of the initial things I read, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to watch any broadcast tv. Now I see that the concern is that existing hdtv's won't be able to receive high def signals, and will be only able to receive standard signals. I can live with that as long as I get to start enjoying my dvd's on the new TV.

Hopefully in 10 years or so this will all wash out and I'll buy the latest and greatest at that time. If the TV was 10 grand or something, I'd be more cautious. As it is, I've been watching my 27 inch for so many years that I'm willing to spend $2500 and start enjoying HT.

I'd appreciate any other thoughts on this subject, particularly if anything I've said isn't accurate.

Thanks again.

Keith

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
Keith I suggest you check out this months issue of Home Theatre Magazine. They talk about the very issue your concerned about. I believe that the 2006 FCC deadline is kind of a joke now since stations now only have to be able to broadcast DTV, which includes all 18 ATSC standards. So in reality 10 years from now people might still be watching SDTV broadcasts just sent to their TVs as a digital signal instead of an analog one. Your set will always be able to receive analog signals until they are not broadcast anymore, which will not be for a long time. From what I know HDTV via an antenne is the best way to watch HDTV because there is no degredation of the signal while being processed by a cable box or satellite receiver. Although I think that point is mute given the fact that your TV does not have have built in DTV decoder and even with an antenne the HDTV signal will have to go through a separate decoder. Plus, HDTV signals over the air are sparse.

From some of the initial things I read, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to watch any broadcast tv. Now I see that the concern is that existing hdtv's won't be able to receive high def signals, and will be only able to receive standard signals. I can live with that as long as I get to start enjoying my dvd's on the new TV.
You will be able to recieve HDTV signals no matter what as long as you have an DTV decoder. The problem is with future digital decoders or satellite receivers that will use digital connections instead of the analog connections used now. If you go out and buy a Direct TV HDTV satellite system right now you will have HDTV.

KeithL

Auditioning
Jon - thanks for the info. The whole issue is very confusing, but based on the info you've provided (i.e., that I'll be able to watch regular TV for a long time on this set - in some fashion), I'm not going to cancel the order. Of course, that's what I was hoping would be the case, I'm really looking forward to watching my movies in widescreen.

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks