What's new

Toshiba 55HX70 in trouble... (1 Viewer)

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine bought a 55HX70 about 6 weeks ago. From day one, there was a smudge on the lense, in between the lense layers. A service tech was called out, and he deemed it defective, requiring replacement. After 5 weeks of waiting, it was finally replaced last night. Here is where the fun begins. My friend commented to the tech guy that the image was a bit soft, and he would like a focus done on it. This was prior to the lense being replaced. These are the steps he apparently did to the set:
Replace lense
Do an electro focus
Do a mechanical focus
Did the greyscale (by eye, no less)
Did the convergence
The set is now pretty much unwatchable. The only part of the picture that looks half decent is the center of the screen in a 10" radius. The image gets blurrier as you look out toward the edges. If you were to display a pattern of cross hatches, the outer edged ones would blur.
eg. A cross hatch in the top righ corner, now blurs upwards and to the right. A cross hatch in the bottom left corner, now blurs downward, and to the left.
The techie tried for quite sometime, and finally resigned himself that Toshiba would need to be called. My friend thought that the original screen was different than the replacement that they brought out. He remembers the original screen being smooth on both sides, whereas the new one has circle patterns on one side that you can feel by hand. Is it possible that they replaced it with the wrong screen? Any other ideas as to what could possibly be wrong?
Thanks for all replies,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Something not right here.
If the CRT is to be replaced ... where did the new screen come from? And why replace the screen anyway?
Need more info about what actually happened. Given what you describe, it is not possible for the screen to be on backwards unless he tied the bezel to the TV cabinet with strings and the back end is popping out at you instead of the front. There would also be some extra screws laying around.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael...
Let me clarify a few things:
The CRT's were NOT replaced. The techie deemed the front screen to have a smudge between layers. This is what was replaced. The CRT's, to the best of my knowledge, were fine.
Is it possible that the attempt at doing greyscale by eye has caused different areas of the screen to be fuzzy?
I just talked to my friend again, and he is claiming that he also has colored splotches in different areas of the screen. The upper right seems to have a lot more red than the rest of the screen.
I personally haven't seen the TV since the work was done on it, I can only go by what my friend has said. I will try and get some more details. Confusing to say the least.
Regards,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
greetings
Typically, the fresnel lens has a label on it. Label faces toward the back of the TV.
Some of the disparity that your friend may be seeing may be from the screen being improperly put back together. ... Improper tension ...
The red on the right side is of course typical Toshiba RPTV behavior. Lens striping can usually solve the bulk of that issue.
Focus is focus ... electronic was easy enough. Did they notice how he did the mechanical focus? Was it from the front or back ... paper or string?
yum.gif

It is also possible that the new fresnel and or lenticular screen has different properties compared to the previous one.
Of course one would have to take a closer look at it to really know what is going on.
eyeballing the grayscale ... why did he do that? He only changed the screen ...
A bit of focusing... None of this would have warranted any grayscale adjustments.
Quite possible that the TV may actually be fine, but that the set was really set up wrong this time.
All just speculation of course. One would actually have to look at it to really know.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
For those that may be interested. My friend had the techies come back out....there were 2 of them this time. I guess they figured 2 heads were better than one. Anyway, they spent some time playing around, and eventually decided to pack the TV up, and take it back to the shop. About 3 hours later, they phoned my friend up and told him that it was almost fixed. The culprit that was causing the screen edges to blur, was that they left the "spacers" in between the lense layers. This was causing the "fish eye" look that he was seeing. They are going to keep the set over the weekend, and properly set it back up. I suspect that the first guy really screwed around with the focus trying to fix the blurring problem.
It goes to show you that something very small can have a great impact on your RPTV's image.
FYI....
Regards,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks