What's new

Going to buy Toshiba 50HX70, need some advice (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello,
I have settled on the Toshiba 50HX70 4:3 HD display as what I am going to buy. But I have a few questions and concerns.
The TV will be used not only by me, but by my family also, so our primary viewing habits are like this:
50% cable TV (soon to be satellite, which is still 4:3 primarily anyways)
50% DVD (this includes regular movies and anime which is mostly 4:3)
Now, I considered getting the 40H80 widescreen set, but I think with the amount of 4:3 material watched in my house, it would be a real sacrifice.
What I want to know is when watching a movie on the 50HX70 how much smaller would the widescreen image be as opposed to watching the same movie on the 40H80? How much more would I gain going up to the 55HX70?
Last but not least:
When watching a widescreen movie on the 50HX70 and sending it a 480i signal with the DVD player set to 16x9 does the TV anamorphically squeeze the image so I get the full resolution? I do not have a progressive scan DVD player yet, but once I do will the answer to the above question (with 480i replaced with 480p) be the same?
You see, I really want a 16x9 set, but with the large amount of 4:3 watched in my house, I just don't think it's an option...my parents just wouldn't be able to get passed the stretched image. I also want to get as big of a widescreen image as possible on a 4:3 TV without going overboard on screen size. Once again, my parents still have trouble understanding the "black bars" thing, no matter how many times I explain it to them.
Anyways, any assistance would greatly help me out.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Maximil

Agent
Hey there,
I've had the 55HX70 (paid $2100) now for about 4 months. I'm pretty satified with it. From what I've read on the boards, the only way to get it to do the auto squeeze is with a true (broadcast?) HD signal, DVD players don't count. I wish there was an easy way to do a manual squeeze, but there isn't. Otherwise picture quality is good enough for me.
As far as size goes, I believe bigger is better. I actualoly wish I had shelled out the couple extra hundred for the 61". The black bars on movies don't bother me, especially given the size of the screen...
Anyway, that's my 2 cents... Have fun :)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Thanks Maximil for your response.
Just thought I would bump this up, and see if I could get some more responses.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I also want to get as big of a widescreen image as possible on a 4:3 TV without going overboard on screen size. Once again, my parents still have trouble understanding the "black bars" thing, no matter how many times I explain it to them.
You will want to go with the 55" in this case (see above calculations). But you will also need to keep fighting the good fight re: OAR and the black bars. A bigger 4:3 set means that there is still lots of space to fill and the complaints will likely continue. Using matte borders will help a great deal as they completely eliminate any sense of space outside the active image.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Wow, thanks Jay!
I think I will move up to a 55HX70 then. Going to the 61" will be pushing it. (in terms of space taken up and getting it downstairs)
Thanks again for answering my questions.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Ok, I just checked Toshiba's USA website and I'm now a little confused.
The previous information I was going on was that of Toshiba Canada's site, but Toshiba USA has many more models in the Cinema Series HD line of 4:3 TV's.
Can anyone clarify what I want? :)
I wanted the 50HX70 (or 55HX70) that was listed on Toshiba Canada's website, but now after checking their USA website there is no 55 inch model available. There is only a 57 and 53 and 50. (57HX81, 53HX71, and 50HX81) Are these this years models and/or has Toshiba Canada just not yet updated their website?
So, if these are the new models, which is the one that most closely resembles the 55HX70? In terms of the features that I was talking about in my above posts (anamorphic squeeze and such) And why do some models have HX71 and some HX81?
Thanks a whole bunch!
Andrew "confused" Rockliffe
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Ok, I see what has happened. Toshiba is now including their widescreen TV's in their Cinema Series line, and are marked with a X81. Before they were under the Theaterwide product line.
This is now kind of a let down, as I am not able to get a 55inch 4:3...only a 53 inch. grrr
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks