What's new

Toshiba 50HX81 is so dark with normal cable, but great with DVDs (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I have only done the 9point convergence and calabrated the TV with Video Essentials, and DVDs look great and probably will look even better when I do the 56 point convergence, but Man, I can hardly even see network TV (esspecially NBC) because it is so dark. I really do not want to change the settings in contrast, because I am so scared of burnin. I also use the Xbox on the TV which is another big reason for me to be scared to up the contrast for TV viewing. I now hate even watching any TV show that has a logo in the bottom right hand side. (even the see through ones I don't like.

OK, Am I being over the edge here? Would it be OK to view normal Cable with a littel higher contrast setting? I ust love the way the DVDs look, but Watching a show like frinds is almost painful, becuase it is so dark. I even watch it with the lights off and the backlight on for less eye strain, but still too dark.

And on top of all of it watching a VHS tape of recorded cable is almost unbareable. Please tell me it would be ok every now and then to brighten it up a bit when watching cable?

Or let me know some way to fix my problem. Thanks!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Your DVD (component) input is seperate from your Svideo input and as such requires seperate (different) settings to be optimized.

One way to get the svideo input close is to connect your DVD player via s video, this will put you near where you want to be. Please keep in mind that with NTSC sources there is little consistancy between stations whether or not you have cable, satellite, etc. Bottom line: adjust the front panel controls to your liking for svideo sources.

Regards

Gregg Loewen

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Well, what about the ant ("0" on input)? Also my VCR does not have S-Video so I am using the normal composite (sp?) Does the Toshiba aloow me to have different settings for the HDTV inputs and the S-Video, and the Composite? How do I do that? Maybe I just need to pul out the instructions and read it, heh. THanks for your help!!!

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
The best place I have found for info on the HX81's or H81's is Link Removed Check out the Toshiba Fourm and the Toshiba Tweaks fourm.
Back to your question. Yes, you can set Brightness and contrast levels on each input. Check the users manual for instructions on how to do this. If you want to have your set look the best it can go over to the URL I gave and ask all the questions you can.
Good luck,
Robert Barker

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Or in contrast to Robert's suggestion you can ask your question here and get a great answer!!

Thanks for supporting Hometheaterforum!!!

Gregg Loewen

Video Calibrationist

HTF Administrator

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't mean he wasn't going to get a good answer here. There is just more traffic at the other URL when it comes to Toshiba Specific info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks