What's new

Toshiba 46h83 just got really dark two days ago... ideas? (1 Viewer)

Pete Walker

Agent
Hey fellas...

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this issue. Within the past two days (and might I add right around the 1 year warranty expiring) the set has just gotten really dark. It is effecting all inputs. If I crank up the contrast and brightness, the settings sometimes stick, and sometimes don't. However, I am scared to keep them set to those levels, as I don't want to burn in the set.

Secondly, I'm hoping to get some insight on warranty service, assuming the problem can't be fixed by me. I bought the TV at Sears, so should I buy an additional warranty though them? Does Toshiba offer one? Any other thoughts would really be helpful, as well.

I'm very frustrated that 1 year into owning this TV, it's on the fritz now. I'm out of work, so I can't really afford to have this problem right now.

Thank you all for reading.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Pete,

I would be frustrated too. What are your current settings for brightness and contrast? Have you calibrated your set w/ Avia or Video Essentials?

I know on my Tosh 65h80 changes to my settings don't "stick" unless I hit "Save Preferences." I don't know if your Tosh has that option in the menu or not.

Peace,

DM

Pete Walker

Agent
Hey Dave,
I appreciate the reply, but hadn't calibrated the set the whole year I've had it, and only had an issue within the past few days. I'm not an expert at this, so please explain to me why this is a calibration issue. In the past, even when I chose a preset (50 con 50 bri) it looked just fine. Now it's just REALLY dark. Thank you very much!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the overall picture has gotten very dark, you can crank the contrast up to where the screen looks the same as it used to and have no added problem with uneven screen wear (burn in).

You will probably not see blooming when you conduct the contrast test with AVIA.

You may still see the line bend in the needle test, which is a sign of maxing out the power supply circuits. If so, don't keep it that way as this could shorten the life of the set.

Get in a warranty call quickly, before your warranty expires. If the TV went dark without your doing anything, then some problem must have cropped up inside, such as a failed component.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Pete Walker

Agent
Thank you, Allan. My fear is that because I bought the TV over 1 year ago, that they won't come out under the warranty. Any advice?

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Normally when a power supply goes bad, it goes out. You've still got power, but now for some reason have a reduction in light output.

If one of you guns went out, that would reduce light output as well, but your colors are the same, correct? That doesn't make sense either.

I'm hoping Gregg Loewen or maybe Michael TLV could jump in and give you some suggestions. They'd know. I'll PM them.

Peace,

DM

Pete Walker

Agent
Dave, thank you. I'm starting to get scared at this point. I am out of warranty, albeit just by a week, and I don't have the cash to fix this right now. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the effort. Thank you, again.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor

Since your warranty ranned out 11 days ago, you maybe in luck and they might service your set since its within the month that you purchased it last year.

Don't WAIT. Call Sears or whoever that you bought it and get it service.

You maybe in luck.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
sorry to hear about your problem.

It sure sounds like a power supply /voltage problem. Time to call a tech.

Best wishes

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks