What's new

Toshiba 36AF41 pincushioning (1 Viewer)

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I've recently noticed some strange bending in the picture on the left and right sides of my Toshiba. When I'm running an s-video connection from my X-Box, the left and right edges bend inward. The middle of each bend comes in about a quarter inch or so while the top and bottom parts actually extend a bit beyond the edge of the screen. It's not nearly as noticeable when I'm running a composite connection but I can still tell there's a problem. When an image moves horizontally across the screen, the top and bottom portions look just fine. The mid section, however, seems to bend as it moves across until it's about two inches from the edge of the screen. It then looks fine as it moves until it trails off the other side and the same thing happens. I think the same pincushion problem is happening but I just can't see the edge of it. Does anyone know a fix for this? I'm sure it's only solved through the service menu but so far the only setting I've messed with is the vertical height adjustment in order to fake a "compressed mode" when I'm watching DVDs. I don't want to go in blind and start messing with random settings until I find one that works (or royally screw something up) so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Scott,

Go into the Service Menu and adjust the DPC value. Try to have something onscreen with regular geometry to the sides. If the AF41 series is the same as the AF42's you should have internal screens available without needing to view AVIA or VE. Just press the TV/Video button on the remote while you're in the service Menu and it will take you through 12 screens. The first few are black and black with color which shows in the large Service Menu listings so don't be misled...keep pressing.

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
Can you point me to anything online that describes how to get into the service menu and what the settings are for the Toshibas? I'm thinking of getting one of the xxAF42 models, either 27" or 32".

Thanks,
BrianGC

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Brian,

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...rvicemenu.html

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=119864

The first is a site very useful even for non-HDTV and the second lists the current ongoing thread on this forum. I list the factory defaults and any changes made for my set.

Also be aware that there are several methods depending on model and year. The current AF42 series uses the simpler: 1(Remote) Mute button (while showing onscreen)--->2(Remote) Mute + (Set) Menu buttons (which shows S)--->3 (Set) Menu button which gives the Service Menu. WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN FIRST!!!! Your set may be different. As always turn off the set to fully exit the Menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks