What's new

Top Ten PSone games ever... (1 Viewer)

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
hey,
i never had a ps1(but i have a ps2) and i recently picked up Castlevania 'Symphony Of The Night' -- partly because i needed a little redemption after the dissapointing 'Lament Of Innocence', but mainly because i had heard it was one of the best video games ever made. period. so, i was wondering if some of you who have(had) a ps1 if you could list some of the best games for that system. I think i might want to try some other classics (Like are any of the Star Wars games for ps1 any good??)
thanks

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Any list would have to include the 3 best platformers on the console: Ape Escape, Spyro the Dragon 2: Ripto's Rage and Spyro the Dragon 3: Year of the Dragon. The original, Spyro the Dragon, has its moments but the sequels are head and shoulders above it. Those two games are the main reason I still have my combo PS1 monitor console. (Avoid Spyro the Dragon 4: Enter the Dragonfly for PS2, Xbox & GCN like the plague).

Other platformers that are good are: Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time, Bugs & Taz: Time-Busters and Looney Tunes: Sheep Raider. Infogrames proved they have a genuine grasp of what makes an excellent LT game, especially with LiT.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- One of the best games ever made.

Metal Gear Solid
- Unlike it's flashier sequel on PS2, this one has more playing involved.

All the Final Fantasy's
- I love these games. That's why I'm recommending them. :)

Final Fantasy Tactics
- Most criminally underrated game on the system. Also one of the harder RPG's.

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
- If you can find it, call yourself a lucky bastard.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
How can you leave Klonoa out of the top platformers? That game was brilliant. Looking back, any top 10 PSX game list I'd make would be very RPG heavy because that's where my truly fond memories of the system are. Xenogears and Final Fantasy 7 truly ruled the system, and every single RPG I've played since experiencing those two games has felt a bit shallow. FF 8, 9, Chronicles, and Anthology are all solid. Suikoden 1 and 2 are in the vein of old school Final Fantasies and are great, and Grandia is top quality as well. For something a bit different, Persona 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Front Mission 3 deserve a look.

Square was basically god in those days, it even produced a top quality shooter in Einhander. Looking back though, 95% of PSX games suck, and suck badly. Gaming was transitioning to 3D, and it was an ugly transition. Very few 32 bit games have stacked up well over time, unlike the classics on the SNES and Genny. Many of the games that were absolute top quality a few years ago, such as the original Gran Turismo, are irrelevant compared to what's on the market now. Although my top picks are mostly RPGs, I think the top quality non-RPGs that haven't been made obsolete over time are:

Castlevania: SOTN
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Slug X
Mega Man X4
Klonoa: Door To Phantomile
R-Type Delta
G Darius
Einhander
Elemental Gearbolt(for light gun fans)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
To add to the list(some of my favorites):

Raystorm
Thuderforce V
One (not exactly top ten but very fun)
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Silent Hill
Medievil (Perfect Halloween game)
Both Oddworld games
Resident Evil
Devil Dice
Vagrant Story
Tenchu Stealth Assasins (Original)

Wont bother mentioning those already mention except for Symphony of the Night which remains the greatest videogame ever made.
;)

John Madia

Second Unit
I remember enjoying Suikoden quite a bit but unfortantley my playstation was in the "must be flipped upside down to work stage" when the sequel finally came out.

Eric_P

Grip
In addition to the ones mentioned..

If you want a really addicting and fun game that you can play with your family.. get Super Puzzle Figher

Another one I liked that hasn't been mentioned was Parasite Eve

PS- Metal Gear Solid probably was the best PSOne game.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the suggestions, i'll have to rent a few of these and check 'em out.
one other question -- do i need a ps1 memory card to save progress or will the ps2 memory card work??

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Tekken 3
Final Fantasy VII
Legend of Legaia
Final Fantasy IX
Heart of Darkness (do NOT miss this game)
Crash Bandicoot
Klonoa
Dance Dance Revolution
Parasite Eve

AlexanderS

Second Unit
In the beginning there was just one:

Battle Arena Toshinden!

Sorry but that used to be my favorite game back in the day.

Id like to throw in a sleepers here that was one of my favorites...Legend of Dragoon - One of the most original RPG's I ever played with amazing graphics and, to this day, the most original fighting system yet.

Great call by David on Ape Escape and Spyro the Dragon - Kiddie I know but extremely fun to play and difficult enough for even the sauciest gamer. Nothing beats the fun of running around and whacking monkey's with a stick.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I can't BELIEVE no one has listed TWISTED METAL 2...For me this game still is the best two player co-op game I've ever experienced. And even for single player, despite how old it is and how dated the graphics are, no car combat game I've seen since comes close. (I didn't really care for Twisted Metal Black on the PSX2 and Roadkill on the Xbox was just awful).
Now that I've got the front projector with the big screen setup I'm going to have to dig my dusty PSX out of the closet and track down a copy of this great game again.

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe not the best games out there... but really enjoyed Kagero: Deception 2. I know it's sick and twisted at times, but it was kind of humorous seeing knights struggle to come after you after having a huge boulder smash him on the head.

Not of of the PS' strongest games, but I had fun with it :D

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
1. Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night
2. Silent Hill
3. Chrono Cross
4. Resident Evil 2
5. Final Fantasy VIII
6. Xenogears
7. Gran Turismo 2
8. Final Fantasy VII
9. Metal Gear Solid
10. Vagrant Story

Of course, that's just me...

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Castlevania: SOTN
Einhander
Suikoden 1&2
Soul Blade (someone said Toshiden lol ;)
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1&2
Resident Evil
FF:VII
Tobal 1&2
Tekken 1&2
Twisted Metal 1&2

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
By the way I find it a travesty that one here has mentioned Wipeout XL. One of the greatest racing games released on the PS1 or any system for that matter. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.;)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
By the way I find it a travesty that one here has mentioned Wipeout XL.
Great game, I found myself playing Wipeout 3 more though - better soundtrack. Both awesome games,though.

Resident Evil 1 & 2, as well as Silent Hill are on my liat.
I'd also add R/C Stunt Copter to it - one of the most original games ever made...

Alanna

Second Unit
OK I'm going to barge in and throw out here a bunch of titles no one else mentioned and keep out the ones that have already had their time in the spotlight (EXCEPT the Spyro games and Castlevania: SOTN, those are some of the best titles EVER made for ANY console! There, I said it.) I seem to be in a RPG frame of mind right now since those are the only titles I can seem to think of but... they are all great games and here's why:

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete & Lunar: Eternal Blue - I'll mention these in the same breath since they are basically remakes of Sega CD titles, but oh what fantastic gaming goodness they are! Beautiful anime style cut scenes, engaging storylines with delightful characters, these two titles had it ALL where RPGs are concerned. Must-HAVES!

Valkyrie Profile - This one fell through the cracks but for those that have played it, they know its one of the best pieces of RPG gaming that ever made its way to the States. Another fascinating storyline - you play as a Valkyrie that has to recruit the souls of the dead to enlist for Ragnarok (the apocalypse). This envolves witnessing the ends of many lives, the mortal's moments leading up to their demise and finally what kills them in the end. Some of these tales are absolutely heart wrenching as you watch the little onscreen characters commit suicide and other horrible things. Then you put them in your "party" and try to level them up so you can send them to the 'gods' upstairs for enrollment in the ultimate army. If you can't tell - I LOVE THIS GAME!

Tales of Destiny 2 - Superb battles that are lightning fast and a killer interface make it a breeze to play. Somewhat light on plot and the music/sound area, but its another really cool RPG. The Playstation had SO many of them!

Alundra - Its like Zelda, only wickedly hard... another cool story (wooh!) where a force is killing off villagers by entering into their dreams. You play as a dreamwalker and have to enter these townfolks nightmares to "save the day". The puzzles are insane and so is the difficulty. Avoid Alundra 2 however, it is completely different and makes new meaning out of the word "crap".

Capcom Vs. SNK: Millenium Fight 2000 Pro - Probably the best 2d fighting game on the system. Amazingly its only about a year old!

Fear Effect 1 & 2 - Stylish Resident Evil style game that stretches the RE formula into new territory. Especially the first one, you love to hate the characters and hate to love them :) Getting used to the controls is kinda painful but if you can get past the first disc (of FE1) you will be hooked!

No One Can Stop Mr. Domino - No one can remember this game... but its a really innovative puzzle title that has you dropping dominoes, doing parlor puzzles and wondering if its an action game or a puzzle title. If you want or need some originality in your life - here ya go.

And for those that need an even bigger RPG fix, here's more: Dragon Warrior VII, Arc the Lad Collection, Final Fantasy Origins, Saiyuki: Journey West, Tales of Destiny, Azure Dreams, Breath of Fire III & IV, Rhapsody, Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate, Persona 2, Grandia, Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, Wild ARMs 1 & 2, Star Ocean: The Second Story, SaGa Frontier I & II, Thousand Arms

There were quite a few cool shooters for the system too but I'm drawing a blank right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks