What's new

Tom Clancy gives thumbs up to Sum Of All Fears (1 Viewer)

Mark E J

Second Unit
Tom Clancy has seen the new SOAF film and signs off on it. He says that it is a much better film version of his book than Patriot Games or Clear and Present Danger. He specificly praises Ben Afleck as Jack Ryan, saying that he is the best Ryan to date. Even better than Alec Baldwin.

It looks like this film might be shaping up to be good film after all.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Ben Affleck playing Jack Ryan???? Under what rock was I while this happened???

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I've seen it twice now. It's a fantastic picture, but I've never before read a Tom Clancy book or seen a movie based on one, so I can't comment on that. Either way, the movie is great on its own merits and worth seeing. Affleck is superb, as usaul, as is the entire cast, for that matter.

I give it a thumbs up as well.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
If Clancy loves it then that gives me reason to see it, though I haven't read a Clancy book in years. Read "Hunt For Red October" and loved the book and felt the movie did right by it. "Patriot Games" didn't impress me too much and I skipped "Clear And Present Danger."

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
May 31st, Patrick.

The preview I've seen of it is very solid. It looks like it will be quite tense and intense at the same time, plus some fast-moving action scenes. Worth checking out, at least.

Bruce

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, Tom Clacy's comments were irrespective of the $20M or so he got for the film's book rights. ;)
I am very much looking forward to this one.
~Edwin

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
$20M? To a writer? TC may have gotten a $20M advance from the publisher, but the idea that Paramount spent that sort of money on the movie before even hiring a producer is absurd.

I must say, this movie terrifies me. It's my favorite of all Clancy books, and I remember reading the final 300 pages or so in one sitting because I needed to know what was going to happen next. When I heard how many liberties were being taken, I got worried, and I still have no idea how they'll make the turning point palatable to a post-9/11 world. I'm hoping they just let it be, but man...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Jason, do you think you could give me a quick rundown of the differences between the movie and the book, based on what you've heard about the film? I'm curious.

As for the "turning point," I have to admit that I was a bit surprised by a lot of what was shown considering that the events of September 11 are still in such recent memory. I don't know what was in the book, but I'm inclined to think that it can't have been toned down very much for the film.

It really hit home for me, because the first post-9/11 Superbowl was here in New Orleans just two months ago. I don't know how much of it was seen in the rest of the country, but much was made locally of the heightened security measures that were in place to stave off disaster.

Mark E J

Second Unit
Hopefully, Tom Clacy's comments were irrespective of the $20M or so he got for the film's book rights.
I doubt that since he made money on the rights of Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger, but had no problem expressing his hatred for those two films.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
I hated what they did with Clear and Present Danger. I was somewhat anxious about the choice of Ben Affleck. The fact is, though, that Clancy plots are too complex to fit into a two-hour movie without significant alteration. Especially if you're going to hire an actor that's ten years younger than Jack Ryan is supposed to be.

I'll go see this one, but I'm going in with low expectations. That way, I can't be too disappointed. I think Bourne Identity looks much more interesting, though I'm not nearly as big a fan of that book, or of Robert Ludlum.

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

Whether Tom Clancy likes the movie or not. I for one will be boycotting "Sum of All Fears". Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan?? Definately not! Harrison Ford is Jack Ryan. At least if they were going for an earlier version of Jack Ryan They might have chosen a better actor than Ben Affleck to play the Role. As Far as the existing films "Patriot Games" is my personal Favorite.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Having met and respect Tom Clancy, I still do not like what has happened.

Alec Baldwin IS Jack Ryan. As much as I like Harrison Ford, he was no Jack Ryan.

Of course, the only film based upon a Clancy novel (to date) that is worth the time or film stock was “The Hunt for Red October”. I remember when “Sum” came out. I was a wreck at work for 3 days because I could not put the thing down.

Well, since Tom is interested in revisiting history, we shall se how “Red Rabbit” fits in this summer. “Red Rabbit” fits in between “Patriot Games” and “The Hunt for Red October” in the book timeline.

If they wanted to “restart” the franchise, then they should have gone with the Clark / Kelley theme and launched it with “Rainbow-6”. That way, Ryan could still be around, but not central to the story.

Well, I have changed my mind. I WILL go see it, and I will go with an open mind.

John_VI

Second Unit
Interesting discussion so far. This is my first post in the "Movies" forum, as I have so far spent all of my time in the h/w forums. Anyway...

I am a huge Clancy fan. I've read all of his primary books and loved each one of them, with the possible exception of Rainbow-6. That book, more than CAPD even, was in dire need of an editor with balls. Of the three Clancy movies, only HFRO is decent, and IMHO, in SPITE OF Alec Baldwin. I really despise Baldwin as an actor and as a human being, and I think his portrayal of Ryan was lame. I liked Ford as Ryan, but he was a bit too old, maybe 10-years.

Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan?? You've got to be kidding me! And in SOAF, in which Ryan is SUPPOSED to be about 40-45 years old??? LMAO, don't you just love Hollywood!!??

I will see the movie, and with low expectations as well. I'm very surprised that they're releasing this movie now, so close to 9/11. I'm sure there will be all sorts of "groups" who will vehemently protest the release of this film.

The Clancy book I'd like to see made into a movie is Debt of Honor. THAT would be a classic movie, easy to tell in 2-hrs, and with the right actor as Kelly.....well, it would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks