What's new

Tom Clancy gives thumbs up to Sum Of All Fears (1 Viewer)

KlausWinkler

Agent
@John_VI

"He can't be playing Greer, since Greer died in CAPD."

Isn't SOAF (Movie) supposed to take place before the other movies?

Anyway, with all the changes in the timeline and the story of the previous movies (PG after HfRO, killing Dan in CaPD), it wouldn't matter much...

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Nope, that one fits in the main "Ryan" timeline. In CAPD, Ryan is standing in for Greer in the CIA for most of the book. In SOAF, Ryan is the new Presidential appointee following Greer's passing.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Yeah, but Keanu would possibly still be better than Willem I think. At least he's a bigger guy! That being said, it was never confirmed WHAT part he'd play, I just heard that he's signed to be in "Without Remorse"

I'd prefer to see someone new that could actually get the grit of the John Kelly/Clark character. I'm not sure there's an actor out there right now that would make me believe he's the Badass that is John Clark!

Mark E J

Second Unit
No. THIS FILM HAS NO CONNECTION TO THE OTHER MOVIES AT ALL.

Ok, here is how the whole timeline works. Tom Clancy wrote a series of novels all taking place in the same universe and featuring the same characters. The most prominent of these characters was a CIA guy named Jack Ryan. Parmount filmed the first of these novels with the movie The Hunt For Red October with Alec Baldwin as Ryan.

However Baldwin left the role and they got Harrison Ford to play Ryan in the next movie. HF was much older than the book character and had a completely diffrent type of movie persona than Baldwin or Ryan. So the producer changed the script to better suit Ford. In doing so they pretty much threw the whole Clancy mythology out the window, and started a whole new mythology. Call it the Ford mythology.

As dissapointed a I was over the changes I just excepted the films for what they were and quite enjoyed them on their own merits.

But after 2 movies Ford also left the role. This puts the series in serious jepordy. There's really no point in trying to continue with the Ford mythology because he's gone and there were so many drastic changes made it is impossible to go back to the Clancy mythology. HF wether he meant to or not effectively killed the Ryan franchise.

So it appears that the producers have let the franchise die and have decided to start a whole new series. Starting over from the begining. So you should approach this film as a completely stand alone movie. If it is popular it will be come a franchise in it's own right, but it has no timeline connection to any of the other Clancy based movies in any way, shape, or form.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Vin Diesel huh?

I'm not convinced. I mean he *COULD DO* the role, but I'm not sure he *COULD BE* John Clark...you know? Any other suggestions or rumors?

Mark E J

Second Unit
Well, Liev Schriber is playing Clark in the SOAF movie.

Matt Damon has been rumored as the possible star of a Clark film spin-off.

However Tom Clancy's own personal choice is Tom Selleck.

John_VI

Second Unit
IMHO, the story has been severely damaged by removing the Arab terrorist theme. Whether this will result in a lame movie plot remains to be seen, but for any Clancy fan (like myself), this is a major slap in the face.

The only thing I can say about this movie (having not yet seen it) is that it is LOOSELY based on Clancy's novel.

Two Corrections:::

First, I referenced the wrong book above, when I said that I'd like to see Debt of Honor made into a movie. The book I was actually referring to was Without Remorse. John Kelly at his finest, and a great plot for a movie, too! I could see Selleck as John Kelly, but NOT in Without Remorse, where John Kelly is supposed to be in his late-20's or early-30's. Selleck might do very well in Rainbow Six. I kinda liked Willem Dafoe as Kelly in CAPD. Matt Damon as Kelly??!! You've GOT to be kiding me!!! That's nearly TWICE as laughable as Damon as Jason Bourne!! Oh wait....Damon IS playing Jason Bourne! [in my best Gilda Radner].....never mind.

Second, Joe_C?? Debt of Honor closes with the jumbojet flying into the Capitol building. Executive Orders opens with the Capitol in ruins, the President and Congress dead, and Jack Ryan as President. So I think the book you're referring to is Executive Orders, another of Clancy's books that could have greatly benefitted from an editor with balls.

AjayM

Screenwriter
I liked DaFoe as Clark, he brings off that normal but certifiably crazy thing very well. Which is always the impression I got of Clark/Kelly, he's just a normal guy...until something upsets him greatly, then he's VERY dangerous...almost like a split personality.

I'll wait to see Liev in the role before I pass any judgement, I've liked him in other roles.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks