What's new

Tobe Hopper on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
With Tobe's passing today, which of his films remain without releases? Also what is your favorite film by him as well.
file_748314_Hooper3.jpeg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head, most of his movies have made it to Blu-ray. I'm probably missing one or two but I think only The Mangler, Crocodile and The Toolbox Murders are MIA. He also has plenty of TV work that will probably never get any kind of release.

My favorite Tobe Hooper movie is easily The Texas Chain Saw Massacre followed by The Funhouse and Eaten Alive.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Steven Spellberg, just sayin'. Might want to fix the thread title.
I remember the full page ad Spielberg took out in Variety I believe praising Hoopers direction of Poltergeist deflecting claims that he (Spielberg) actually directed it.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Aside from TCM, which I think nearly everyone can agree was his greatest and most-influential film, I also loved 'Salem's Lot and Funhouse quite a bit. Lifeforce never really grabbed me. It had some really nice practical effects in it, but I found the script to be ridiculously bad. I've not seen Eaten Alive, though many put it on their list of favorites. It's a shame he was never really able to escape from the shadow of TCM and make another truly great classic. It was simply a case of lightning in a bottle.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I've only seen bits and pieces of Eaten Alive, from what I've seen; it's very interesting and gory. I only know about this film because it stars Morticia Adddams (Carolyn Jones) in it, also Marylin Burns (Sally from TCM) is in it as well.

Does anyone know how I can fix the thread title? I don't want to have to delete this and start again just because of my typo.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It's a shame he was never really able to escape from the shadow of TCM and make another truly great classic. It was simply a case of lightning in a bottle.

You don't count Poltergeist? (The who really directed it nonwitstanding, his name in on the film as the director which officially makes it part of his resume)

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
The current Blu-ray of Poltergeist is OK, but in dire need of a re-release with more bonus features. Warner missed a great opportunity the first time around...

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The current Blu-ray of Poltergeist is OK, but in dire need of a re-release with more bonus features. Warner missed a great opportunity the first time around...

A full blown SE of Poltergeist was never going to happen while both S.S. and T.H. were alive. Warner, about a decade ago, said that a SE was coming but obviously it never materialized. Speculation was that the "who really directed?" was still too sensitive a topic and "someone" killed the SE release. There were also rumors (that I thought I read) that Hooper had a sizeable drinking problem during the production.

However whatever problems that occurred couldn't have been that severe since a pretty good movie resulted and that Hooper did work for Spielberg again on a couple of occasions (directing episodes of "Amazing Stories" and "Taken")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks