What's new

To Tom & Ron @ SVS (1 Viewer)

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
I would just like to say thank you for all your hard work. Lord knows that you two, along with the rest of the SVS crew are working your tails off just to meet demands and keep good customer relations. As I waited this morning for my shipment from UPS, I got so eager I actually tired myself out and dozed off. 15 minutes later, I hear footsteps coming to my door. I jump to my feet, look out the window and see the truck with the great colors of brown with yellow lettering on it stopped in front of my home. Before the UPS lady could even ring my doorbell, I open up the door (a second later the doorbell goes off), and greet the lady. She says, "you must be expecting something!"
"Yes I am!" says I.
"I don't know what you have in there but that's a mighty fine-sized box you got awaiting you!" she replies.
"Indeed, it's actually a subwoofer for my home theater.." I sheepishly say.
"A What?!? A single subwoofer??" she gasps, "well I definitely need help if you would to get this thing into your place!"

We made our way to the truck and she pushes the box out. To my surprise, the box is a bit bigger than I thought. I thought, oh well over-packing is always good. We carry the box inside my house and I thank her for her help and she goes on her way. I get inside and I call my close friends and tell them to come over. As I tear (carefully tear!) the box open, and lift the first portion of cardboard and styrofoam, I see the beauty that aways sleeping dormant in it's box. Again, I thought, "this is bigger than I thought!" I take it out, stand it up, unwrap the plastic surrounding it, and push it out of the walkway. I admire it for a brief moment then start hauling it into my living room. I slowly move it to the corner where it resides now, and I hook it up, and turn it on. First popped the Avia disk with my SPL meter in hand. Went through the menu and thought that the bass is a lot tamer than usual. I figured that many people have been telling me that it is a flatter sound and such so I went on to calibrate. I rechecked the reference levels of my speakers to get an idea of where to start the calibrating levels and then go to my sub. I do the 100hz low pass frequency level first, the sub starts off normally, gradually getting heavier, feeling more and more, then all of a sudden, my heart starts pounding and my walls start rattling! I sat through the rest of the test and then let out a sigh of relief. Never have I felt so incredibly content on a purchase of mine. Not only did it pretty much sustain a average db level, but it went a lot louder than I anticipated at about 20hz. Incredible.

I figured, I'd do more tweaking later, since my friends were on their way. I popped in Starwars and got to the Calvacade THX intro and just about pee-ed my pants. at the point the ball shatters, I gripped the couch firmly only to release my grip as the rest of the intro finished. Stunning. Afterwards skipped through to chapter 20 (pod races) and prepped myself to be blow back. As I sat through the whole thing I remember tensing up when some of the pods like sebulba's passed by. By the time I finished the demo, my friends arrive. I start going through all of my demo material and same expressions on their faces that I felt myself doing. Went through all, literally, all of my demo material and then took a break for some pizza. Afterwards we ended up watching Iron Monkey and then they left.

Shortly after, I went back and put in the Avia dvd again and started to fine-tune the calibrations. I must say, I got really lucky and I didn't need to fine-tune too much, maybe 2 times recalibrating. The only problem I could not fix is a fairly big db peak around the 50hz freq. Other than that, it's wonderful. After all that, I finally got a chance to sit down at the computer. I just have to tell you all in all, I've never been so astounded with any piece of equipment ever. I was so surprised on how fluidly the sub blended with my system. This sub has just put my Polk PSW-650 to shame. I didn't think that the difference would be as noticable as it was. Of course, I never knew what, really, to expect from a sub that is about 3 times as big! And since I have a PCi Series, I can't imagine needing anymore than this although I hear you guys always saying there's no such thing as too much!

Seriously Tom/Ron, Girth is something you guys must take pride in! Eitherway, thanks so much for your kindness and I will post again letting you guys know in a couple weeks when the driver is broken in fully. I tip my hat to you guys!

Highest Regards,
Your faithful SVS customer
Jonathan Liu

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I would just like to say thank you for all your hard work. Lord knows that you two, along with the rest of the SVS crew are working your tails off just to meet demands and keep good customer relations.
Its obvious that svs is a company that not only takes enormous pride in each and every product they produce but a desire to back their products with total customer satisfaction! something that is not very common in todays market!

a totally satisfied svs customer, Bob Roulier

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
Jon, absolutely beautifully written.

You made me nostalgic remembering the day seven months ago when my SVS arrived.

I know you were very worried that you might be disappointed with this purchase....it sounds like it worked out okay.

You may now be worried that after a few weeks the novelty will wear off and the thrill will be gone. Won't happen. As I type this message I'm listening to an Aaron Copland CD and with every beautiful tympani note that I feel vibrate through my body, I think "wow". Same thing with those good "bassy" movies.

Start saving your pennies for a BFD or some other equalizer because you really do want to knock down that nasty bump at 50 hz.

Congrats on your purchase!

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jon,

Thanks very much. You would think as "big-shot subwoofer OEM's", by now having sold thousands of subwoofers, and into our third year as a company, that we'd not follow the course of every single sub.

Wrong.

We literally don't rest till we are certain every one hits the mark as it has with you. I'd guess we succeed about 99.5% of the time probably (or one dissatisfied customer in 200 roughly) but make no mistake, comments like yours is what keeps the passion alive at SVS.

We don't mind making a living on subwoofers, but we don't DO it for the money. It's about improving theater, one home at a time.

Thanks for letting us into yours.

Ron Stimpson
Director, SVS Sales and Marketing

Manny_S

Stunt Coordinator
My 25-31PCi is due to arrive here this coming Monday. You're all making me veeeery anxious... :D

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Well one thing is for sure, I definitely have to adjust to the sound of the SVS for music. Definitely a different taste than I'd expected. Not that it's a bad thing, just different. I am speaking of the "boominess" of typical subs, especially my previous PSW-650. The smoothness is incredible, though, I must admit (just not used to it yet!)
Manny_S,
As you can tell, the wait was well worth it to me! As you see I ranted for a long while up in my original post! Sadly enough, that was just the tip of the iceberg. I would've typed up more, but I just got lazy and eager to go back to my system! Not to make you too anxious, but I'd say this is hands down the most worthwhile purchase you will make. This thing is massive! the 20-39 actually measures out to be 41" tall and 18" wide. you wouldn't think that the extra 2 on each direction would be much, but it REALLY is!! :D Just prepare yourself :)
Best Wishes,
Jon

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
I continue to be amazed at the personalized customer service and interest that Ron, Tom and others at SVS demonstrate in satisfying each customer.

In my case, Tom and Ron patiently and expertly answered all my questions on which subwoofer to purchase and encouraged me to try the 20-39 CS+ with a spare Rotel amp that I had rather than sell me an amplifier. The combination worked very well, but the experience made me dream of a dual subwoofer and Samson S1000 combination. When my wife decided to surprise me with a second 20-39 CS+ and Samson S1000, Ron, Tom and others at SVS were exceptionally helpful in guiding my wife (who initially had no idea what subwoofer or amp to buy) and kept me occupied with messages so that I would not duplicate the order and spoil the surprise.

When I expressed a concern about unusual fan noise from my first Samson S1000, Tom, Ron and others were exceptionally helpful and responsive in resolving the issue to my complete satisfaction by shipping a replacement at SVS' expense.

I previously used an Infinity HPS1000 that I purchased based in part upon a glowing review in Home Theater magazine. The HPS1000 was impressive (at least until the amp failed) with its 1000 watt amp, 15 inch driver and two large passive radiators, but even one SVS 20-39 CS+ powered by my 160 watt Rotel amplifier played lower, louder and cleaner. Dual 20-39 CS+ powered by the Samson are simply in a different league.

In my opinion, the customer service and products at SVS merit all the accolades they have received.

Mike

Mark R. Ososkie

Stunt Coordinator
wow..nice review
Seeing as i'll be getting my 20-39 PC+ delievered in hopefully under a month, i dont know what to expect after reading your review
I cant imagine anything better ;)

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
I can tell you from my own personel experiences that when it comes to customer relations and service Tom and Ron are at the absolute top of the heap.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Ditto,
People read all the SVS's post and some even get tired of it. I can understand this to a point, but havig delt with them I can say this.......
Well, to bad I say.
The reasons are simple. Great products, excellent service, and other things they have done going far and beyond the call of duty that most of you know nothing about.
This is a very tireless and *GIVING* group running this Company!!!
The people, (all who make up SVS) are incrediable. Their service to buyers & on-lookers, and key-board pounding e-mailers, is Astounding. I seriously wonder how much sleep they really do get on average.....
These are some of the most ~{Unselfish and Giving folks}~ "I've" ever delt with.
Needless to say, Tom, Ron, and all who make up SVS have my up-most support & respect.
Again I say "Thank You" to Tom, Ron, and all at SVS.
Also, "Mr. Parker C." & the other that make for this great forum here at HTF! Thanks bud.. ;)
My Personal Best Regards to all at SVS
Geoff

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my first post on this thread was for humor only, I decided I wanted to be a tad bit more serious. Tom and Ron do make a GREAT product, and I feel it has been the best investment in my "home theater" to date. Now, I want to thank someone that I rarely see get mentioned....

Erik K! Man, you have answered every e-mail I have sent, and have done so quickly and with tons of help. I know Tom and Ron are the main guys, but I've only dealt with Erik and think he is doing a wonderful job. Now, Ron, I know you get a CC of all his e-mails and can see the great job he is doing. So, please take him out to eat or something nice! Good employee, and great attitude! Thanks Erik K!

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Thanks for the kind words guys. You have to enjoy making the best subwoofers in the world, cuz there ARE easier ways to make a living! ;^)

As for Erik Kroner (another one of the founding members of SVS LLC) pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

If it has to do with shipping, or card processing, or is the voice on the end of our new voice line support, then you probably are dealing with the most feared man at all of UPS Inc. Brown jumps when Erik calls (or so he says ;^).

Ron

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Ron S. is right. While he and TV get most of the glory for their customer service, Erik deserves a lot of recognition as well.

I should know. When I purchased my 16-46PC last year, there was some crazy goof-up with FedEx and the sub was returned to SVS. As far as we could tell, nothing was wrong with the package. The address was correct and everything appeared to be in order. So, SVS sent out the sub again and this time it got all the way to Minnesota. As the scheduled delivery of the sub neared, I checked the tracking number and found that FedEx had declared the package "Undeliverable."

I quickly e-mailed SVS and told them of my plight. The next day, I received a call from Erik and he assured me that he would get the sub to me that day. Talking to him on the phone, I knew that he wasn't kidding around. This man meant business. A short while later, I received a call from someone at FedEx assuring me my package would arrive on time. I don't know what Erik said to those FedEx, but they sure sounded like they wanted to get that package to me as soon as possible.

Sure enough, in a few short hours, the sub miraculously appeared on my doorstep and I've been drooling ever since.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I don't own an SVS sub, due to the WAF. However, I will not get divorced to own one. :)
However, I totally enjoyed reading about your experience with one of Tom and Ron's offspring. They seem to reproduce rather quickly as time goes by. :D :D
Whenever any of my buds ask my opinion on a sub, I always recommend the SVS product for cost, performance, detail and outstanding customer relations/attention after reading all the posts on various sites.
SVS, the next Microsoft??? :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks