What's new

International To My Eyes...BEND OF THE RIVER (1952) Blu-ray from Germany (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My August posted remarks about this release:

The video presentation of Bend of the River was okay, but it didn't look nearly as good as Night Passage. I noticed some Technicolor registration problems on Bend of the River. It's an improvement over the DVD. I'm happy I bought this BD release, but, if it ever gets a Region A Blu-ray release from Universal, I expect an improve video presentation over the Explosive Media disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm satisfied, but not blown away with, the BD.

To me, it looks like it's the same master that was used on the DVD version (and/or streaming version) but presented at a higher resolution. It seems that they went to an existing element that had already combined the different color elements, rather than rebuilding it from the ground up by scanning and digitally recombining each of the three strips. I don't expect them to ever put that effort in, so this is probably as good as its going to get. If that's the case, it's what I'd call "good enough".

Alberto_D

BANNED
Hey Universal... Don't foget consumers are watching you and your mastering work.

Rear-Window-750x450.png

Realigh shrunken technicolor strips it's no longer the old nightmare it used to be.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Does anyone have the German Bluray of ...The Bravado's (1958) with Gregory Peck ? I was wondering how is the PQ. I still have not seen a review of this Bluray. Still not released in the USA. Maybe this year since it's the 60th Anniversary ! I hope so.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Does anyone have the German Bluray of ...The Bravado's (1958) with Gregory Peck ? I was wondering how is the PQ. I still have not seen a review of this Bluray. Still not released in the USA. Maybe this year since it's the 60th Anniversary ! I hope so.
The German BD has a very nice picture quality with strong colours and is an upgrade in all departments over the DVD.....it also has English sub-titles if you need them .

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Got my copy of Bend of the River as amazon had a sale on it and after taking a peek into how it looks I have to say that the color fringing is really bad and quite distracting to me. I am sure that due to being exposed to better and better presentation quality this stands out more than it would have 5 years ago.

I am keeping this in place for now to watch with the other mann stewart westerns, hopefully with a new Blu-ray of The Naked spur but with my luck that will be announced after I watched all of them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks