What's new

International To My Eyes...BEND OF THE RIVER (1952) Blu-ray from Germany (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Those of us who have bought the French disc are looking for someone to buy this new German disc and give us an informed opinion. Are you volunteering to be the guinea pig?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Those of us who have bought the French disc are looking for someone to buy this new German disc and give us an informed opinion. Are you volunteering to be the guinea pig?

Probably. Just scrambling to put together the money for an order of this, SWASHBUCKLER and one or two other titles. I will report...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I ordered these titles the other day. They're being released by Alive/Explosive Media. Previously released Universal Blu-ray titles from Alive/Explosive Media like Backlash and Man Without a Star play on Region A players. I suspect these titles are no different.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I ordered these titles the other day. They're being released by Alive/Explosive Media. Previously released Universal Blu-ray titles from Alive/Explosive Media like Backlash and Man Without a Star play on Region A players. I suspect these titles are no different.

If there's a company In Germany that is putting out all-region Universal Blu's, that's great. My only experiences with German discs are from Ostalgica / Hollywood Classics / Koch and a few other labels who have given us some of the 50's Universal sci-fi & western titles, and all have been Region-B locked. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's probably from the same old HD master that's been showing on UK TV (Film Four), it generally looks very nice, there are some colour fringing that show up on some long shots, very slight, it didn't bother me that much. A nice upgrade over the DVD (I still have it on my TV planner), & not expensive, there's quite a few Universal catalogue titles showing up in Germany, & of course lots of westerns.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My link no longer works, and it appears the Blu-ray has been pulled from Amazon Germany. Don't know whether or not this is temporary.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I really hope Universal releases these domestically on Blu ray. I get really tired of deciding whether or not to import ! :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I really hope Universal releases these domestically on Blu ray. I get really tired of deciding whether or not to import ! :)
Since they released them on every previous format: VHS, Beta, Laserdisc and DVD they obviously know that they sell so I'm sure its just a matter of time.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
61EpGETs53L._SX342_.jpg

This title came in Yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it. BEND OF THE RIVER is, of course, one of the Anthony Mann/James Stewart westerns that is m.i.a. on Blu-ray in the U.S. It did, however, get European release. Certainly it is better than not having the movie at all, and it beats the hell out of the Universal domestic DVD. It would not surprise me to see THE FAR COUNTRY and WINCHESTER '73 eventually.

The German disc comes from Koch/Explosive Media, and is part of the "James Stewart Western Collection." It has only a trailer and photo gallery for extras.

The main feature of what was a Technicolor release in 1952 looks pretty good for about half its length, but there are numerous full sequences scattered throughout in which the color separations are out of register, and a thin green fringe appears. This occurs even in the main titles, which have a pleasing blue font but, on this disc, reveal a bit of green fringe on the right edges. This softens the image some, as does a bit of DNR to reduce grain. The color is okay, with strong green in the forests, and acceptable flesh tones. The skies, however, tend to look more purple than blue. Black levels and contrast are adequate. The image is clean, meaning no scratches, splices, speckles or changeover cues. Sound is typical 50's mono, nothing special, but serviceable. German is the default language, which with any player remote is easily adjusted.

Obviously this film requires a new scan.

I'd rate it about 2 1/2 of five.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
61EpGETs53L._SX342_.jpg

This title came in Yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it. BEND OF THE RIVER is, of course, one of the Anthony Mann/James Stewart westerns that is m.i.a. on Blu-ray in the U.S. It did, however, get European release. Certainly it is better than not having the movie at all, and it beats the hell out of the Universal domestic DVD. It would not surprise me to see THE FAR COUNTRY and WINCHESTER '73 eventually.

The German disc comes from Koch/Explosive Media, and is part of the "James Stewart Western Collection." It has only a trailer and photo gallery for extras.

The main feature of what was a Technicolor release in 1952 looks pretty good for about half its length, but there are numerous full sequences scattered throughout in which the color separations are out of register, and a thin green fringe appears. This occurs even in the main titles, which have a pleasing blue font but, on this disc, reveal a bit of green fringe on the right edges. This softens the image some, as does a bit of DNR to reduce grain. The color is okay, with strong green in the forests, and acceptable flesh tones. The skies, however, tend to look more purple than blue. Black levels and contrast are adequate. The image is clean, meaning no scratches, splices, speckles or changeover cues. Sound is typical 50's mono, nothing special, but serviceable. German is the default language, which with any player remote is easily adjusted.

Obviously this film requires a new scan.

I'd rate it about 2 1/2 of five.

For the sake of clarity, the elements are not “separations,” as nothing is being separated. They are color records.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I did some spot checking on this. While Bend of the River does have the issues you stated, and while I would love it if they went back with a new higher scan and digitally lined up the color records (thanks Robert Harris), this release is so much better than the 2003 DVD release, and I am happy to have it. Seems to be region free, as I didn't have to make any change on my Oppo to watch it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I did some spot checking on this. While Bend of the River does have the issues you stated, and while I would love it if they went back with a new higher scan and digitally lined up the color records (thanks Robert Harris), this release is so much better than the 2003 DVD release, and I am happy to have it. Seems to be region free, as I didn't have to make any change on my Oppo to watch it.

Thanks for your reply. It was necessary for me to change the region in order to view it. You got lucky.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
For the sake of clarity, the elements are not “separations,” as nothing is being separated. They are color records.

Thank you, sir. Clarity is a good thing.

And, Mr. Harris, I see that you and I have accrued exactly the same number of "trophy points" here. What will you do with yours? No cash value, unfortunately. I was thinking of redeeming mine for a trip to Oz where I would hope for a new brain.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What would Universal have had to do to properly put this out on Blu-ray? I've no idea what elements they have in their vaults, but I've been wondering for many years why the studio hadn't put these Mann/Stewart titles out ages ago. Maybe they have only substandard materials, and they figure Europe won't be as discriminating as we are here.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
What would Universal have had to do to properly put this out on Blu-ray? I've no idea what elements they have in their vaults, but I've been wondering for many years why the studio hadn't put these Mann/Stewart titles out ages ago. Maybe they have only substandard materials, and they figure Europe won't be as discriminating as we are here.

With this being a three-strip Technicolor production getting the registration right is probably going to cost more than Universal is willing to spend for now. As for the elements I would assume they are all there but uneven shrinking will probably be a challenge judging by the current digital version.

It will be interesting to see how The Far Country looks as there have been rumors of a newly created digital record but it does not have a release date anymore:
https://www.explosive-media.com/katalog/bluray/ueber-den-todespass-bluray/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks