What's new

To compress or not to compress dolby digital (1 Viewer)

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Dynamic Range Compression?

In my Sony 4ES manual it states that in order to to hear dolby digital recordings as intended by the sound engineer you should use STD compression. Standard compression happens to be one click away from max compression. There are nine lighter compression ranges prior to STD compression. They range from .1-.9.

Until I read this in the owners manual I assumed that you would only want to compress sound if you were trying to control the dynamics and if you used any compression then you were not hearing the same dynamics you would hear in a movie theater.

BTW, Dynamic Range Compression can only be used on Dolby Digital recordings

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I think that standard means Off in this case. Going from memory without my DA5ES or manual.

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
I think that standard means Off in this case. Going from memory without my DA5ES or manual.
Actually there is an option for off that is seperate from standard. Your choices are off, .1 through .9 then standard then max.

Ddolby Digital is compressed so I am wondering if the the reciever uncompresses the information to decode. I am wondering if the you put the receiver in standard mode if it plays the signal back in the manner in which it receives it from the DVD.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Unless you watch all your movies at night, I would leave that off. All it does is compress the dynamic range of Dolby Digital soundtracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks