What's new

To buy or not to buy subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

ralm

Auditioning
Hi, I just want an advice if i have to buy a subwoofer for my home theatre setup. My 2 front speakers are Bose am5, my center a Bose and my surrounds are Pioneer speakers. Is the Bose Acoustimas5 w/c has a subwoofer w/ it enough? Do i still need to buy a new active subwoofer?

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
ralm, If you can return the BOSE system, do so. To understand why, type "BOSE SUCKS" in google. It's not that the speakers are that bad (well, maybe) but the speakers cost many more times they are worth.

If you can't shake your couch with your sub durring an action move, you need a bigger sub.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The Acoustimas system does not have a "subwoofer". it has a 'bass-module'. Even Bose can't fool people into thinking their plastic 45Hz fart-box is a real subwoofer.

To answer your question: Yes, you need a subwoofer. I suggest an Axiom EP600, 2 HSU Tn-1220HO's, a SVS PB12-Plus/2, or a Velodyne 1812 (to list them alphabetically).

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Not to push Bose into a bad light or anything, but what has been said so far - is quite true, and humorous at the same time.

But ...

I think with any purchase one makes in home theater, there needs to be a careful consideration of what is being purchased. I don't think it's fair to take Bose which is probably crossed over at 130 - 150Hz and add a subwoofer to pull over full bass responsibilities. The other Bose components will then be a very weak link for what you would be running.

I would say either:

1) Keep your Bose in your current configuration - provided, you are happy with the sound.

2) Sell the Bose gear and put the funds towards revamping the complete speaker setup for your home theater - including a new subwoofer.

Personally, I think #2 will provide you with the most satisfaction - personally. However, wives, significant others, etc. tend to have "issues" with the appearances of certain speakers - even though they sound so wonderful.

Just find something that works for you. In my case, I tend to prefer the cherry finishes and veneers. This has limited me somewhat in what's available for me to purchase. However, my wife has been content with my purchases.

Finally, see if you can find a retailer that carries Bose along with other brands of speakers. If you can, find a way to compare Bose against some of the other speakers out there. Listen to them side-by-side if you can. Let your ears decide what is right for you.

Greg_Hammond

Agent
The Acoustimass 5 isn't a bad system for somebody with very limited space and modest volume requirements. You won't find much love for Bose around here, mainly because you can get better sound for less money -- but people that knock it for reputation alone should be ignored.

Greg

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I know I have said this before, but people with space issues can get systems like this:

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...cinema_60.html

It is small, wall-mountable, discreet, has a real sub (better than the Bose), etc. $700 retail.

The main speakers are literally smaller than a coke can, and the sub is MUCH smaller than the Bose boom thingie.

The all-important center has dual mids, so dialouge, power handling, and total output are better.

I sell this system and for the size, it hauls (yes, you can reach its limits quickly, but for the size, it is pretty impressive)

Great Bose alternative.

ralm

Auditioning
THANKS VERY MUCH GUYS FOR YOUR REPLIES. WELL IAM LEARNING FROM THE EXPERTS. TNX...........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks