What's new

To Boost or to Cut ? (1 Viewer)

Bob Christensen

Stunt Coordinator
Well, yes, and no. If the null is caused by a room interaction, it will come back, but not nearly as strong as before, because it will be proportional to the amount of attenuation you cut the other frequencies with. If it is caused by electronic issues, such as poor XO management or driver matching/impedance spikes, it may come back stronger (or not depending on the issues involved). There are so many factors influencing in room response that it is difficult to "make it simple".

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Thanks Bob,

That makes sense.

I suppose then it's more or less a try it and see if it works type of thing.

If we do this cutting as I suggested, and we turn up the volume to compensate for the cuts, we run into the issue of possibly using up amp headroom.

So, let me propose this scenario: I'll use my HGS-15 for a reference. I have my sub volume at about 3 dots now. (I'm at work and don't remember but I believe it has 10 dots total to max out the sub volume.) If I had a situation where I would want to bring my response down to the bottom of a dip, then I'm gonna have to increase the sub volume. As suggested this supposedly could use up some or all of my amp headroom. But if after I made all the cuts, I only had to increase my sub volume to say 5 dots to get the level back up, wouldn't I still have 5 dots of headroom?

This may sound stupid using dots as a reference but.....?????

Sonnie:

If we do this cutting as I suggested, and we turn up the volume to compensate for the cuts, we run into the issue of possibly using up amp headroom.
You do use up headroom in an absolute sense but a better way to think about it is that you simple return to a level of headroom you had before you cut the signal. Whereas if you boosted the signal you would have less headroom than when you started.

Regards,

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks