What's new

To all Klipsch owners................ (1 Viewer)

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Need your opinion, is it worth spending a little more for the RF-3's, or should I stick with the RB-5's?

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ryan,
I have the rf3's, rs3's, & rc3 as my second home theater in my family room. When I purchased these I also listened to the rb5s. While I found the rf3s to be very good for both music and movies I was very disappointed in the rb5s. It was a no brainer for me. It was 3 years ago so I can't give you any more detail. I've recently upgraded to much more expensive equipment and honestly the difference is very minimal. I would gladly go back to using the Klipsch and Onkyo receiver if I could get all my money back :frowning: (although I would never give up my SVS sub :) )
Good Luck, Mitch

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
It depends on your bass needs. If you have a good sub, and don't want a tower in your room, then the RB's will be a magnificent choice. If you don't care about the space, then I say whatever looks better to you.

In the other hand, if you don't have a sub, then by al means the RF's will be a better choice.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Mitch - what was it about the RB5's that you found lacking - they use the exact same tweeter, and one of the of woofers of the RF3. The only thing the RF3 can do is go lower. Was it the bass you weren't happy with?

I have the RB5, my father-in-law has the RF3. In the mids and highs, there really isn't a difference. The bass is where the difference is, but I have a Velodyne SPL 1200, and set my speakers to small. My father-in-law runs his RF3s large, and to me it is way to boomy with those going and a sub (KSW 15).

I prefer bookshelf speakers, as you can place them pretty much anywhere, and you can get stands that place the horns at the correct height. The RF3, in my opinion, have the horns too low.

Bryan

Robert Marc

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan, I agree with Manuel. I listened to both, they both sound great. If you have room for floor standers, go with the rf3's. I bought the rf3's. The difference in price was about $50. It was a no brainer for me. It also helps to have an understanding wife.:D ,Rob

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bryan,
Like I said, it was 3 years ago, so I don't remember the details... but I definately remember being disappointed in the RB5s. I really wanted to like them because they came in an Oak finish compared to the plain black of the RF3s (in fact I'm amazed my wife only complained once after I moved them from my basement hometheater into her family room - they are quite large). I think running the RF3s as large is a mistake (especially considering he has a KSW15 - I have two KSW12s - which would probably give similar results, although one KSW15 would be easier to position).
Did you ever bring your RB5s over to Dad's house to compare?
Definately convince him to set his up as small (or just do it and don't tell him :)
Mitch

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Mitch - never done the comparison between the two side by side. So I guess I really can't say for sure how they sound next to each other. Plus I use Denon electronics, and he uses Yamaha. He is happy with the system - so I am not going to tell him how to set it up - I never have to watch movies in it! :)
I was just curious as to what you didn't like about the RB5 - because a review I read (with measurements) talked about how impressed they were with the RB5, and how accurate they were (they tracked the input test signals within a few db - which they said was impressive for a speaker of any size). I had already bought the speakers, so I was quite pleased to see a review after that. Anyway - I was just curious what you felt the differences were.
Bryan

Cam S

Screenwriter
I love the looks of the Reference towers, so I say go for the RF-3's!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks