What's new

Replacing Sony DA5300-ES - Reccomendations? (1 Viewer)

haipo

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
Looking for some assistance here...

I have recently purchased a new home and the owner left their home theater system behind for us :)

We have enjoyed the system for a few months now and just last week our tuner stoped working Sony STR-DA5300es. I went to get it serviced and found out the HDMI board is broken and a replacement will cost $600 + servicing.

I figured it might just make sense to replace the unit entierly.

That being said I am NOT a much of an audiofile and not really sure if I would notice the difference if I replaced this model with one at a similar level. To be honest I am trying to spend no more then $600.

I was hoping, given the reciever I have now is about 7 years old if I replaced like for like (same quality level) I would probably not need to pay much more then $500-$600 as I would assume like all other technology, over time prices come down.

The Audio equiptment in the room (in addition to the DA5300ES) is:

5 speaker system (Klipsch THX Ultra 2)

Definitive Technology Supercube 1

If I am trying to match the same audio quality, or if a downgrade is not noticiable to the averge person (who uses it primarly for watching movies and television) any reccomendations on what to replace with?

I was looking at the Sony 1060 or Dennon AVR-X2100W (or 2200W), but not sure if this will be a major downgrade.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If all you want to do is replace the existing capability you can get something for less than $600, as the Sony doesn't have anything that's not standard on any decent receiver. You only need 5.1 unless you are keeping your options open for rear speakers or running some speakers into another room.

Bottom line, anything from Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, or Harmon/Kardon. Most of us avoid Sony; they aren't bad, but they're not innovating anymore but they still price like they're a market leader.

I like Yamaha, so here's one option: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00ILCS11E/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1439839217&sr=1-4&keywords=5.1+receiver

haipo

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
thanks for the input, glad to know that my hunch on the spend was not far off. I had not even looked at Yamaha so on to researching now.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks