What's new

TNN logo a new low..... (1 Viewer)

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching TNN once and I actually turned the channel b/c seeing the title name always is just ridiculous! What a waste of technology, they should use the bar for individual episode information...now that would be a little better.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
TNT used to have a yellow circle with a red TNT in it (or was it the other way around) - anyhoo - now they have reverted to a small transparent logo. Unfortunately they still flash upcoming program info which is very annoying.
Another annoying logo is the one on Trio. It is the word Trio in a painted sort of freehand style that takes up about 10% of the screen.
------------------
Marianne
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here,
this is the War Room Home Theater Forum!"

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching an hour presentation on the DISCOVERY CHANNEL last week on OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE DISORDERS. While the show ran, Discovery would drop their usual annoying bug and show a very smiling NIGEL advertising the upcoming SHARK WEEK. Due to the nature of the subject of this program and for that matter all the other channels that are doing this sort of crap, the broadcasting industry is really stooping to new lows of annoyance to the viewing public who pays good money to their cable/satellite companies. There is all kinds of "terrorism" that exists in this world. These shananigans by these broadcasters represent "broadcast terrorism" which appears to be growing.

Brenton

Screenwriter
They didn't get shoved to the bottom in order to make room for a commercial. They weren't neatly labeled on the left-hand side for promos or so the ten o'clock news could start eight seconds early. I could read them. Unions must have been thrilled back then because gaffers, assistant director and make-up artists could be recognized without the use of strong prescription eyewear.
Reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons where Bart got a job on the Krusty the Klown show. In trying to prove this to the neighborhood kids, he invited them to watch the end credits with him. Unfortunately, the credits got shrunk down to fill half the screen so that Kent Brockman could introduce a blurb for that night's news programming. Bart's name wasn't readable, and he got a Nelson-fist in his gut for "Trying to take credit for someone else's work".

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have several tapes of shows from network airings ranging back several years. Funny how one could watch Cheers on NBC less than a DECADE ago and be able to read end credits; the last episode had closing musicwith no announcers.

Then there was the fact that commercial breaks were shorter. On last week's Simpsons I must have seen ads for about 20 different cars, and the breaks seem to be longer than the program itself.

Thank God for TV shows on DVD.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
On the Malcolm in the Middle commentary, the creator (Linwood Boomer) mentioned that every season, Fox has chopped another 30 or 40 seconds off their running time. I wonder when this will stop? When the commericals are as long as the programming used to be and the programming is as long as the commercials used to be?

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Yeah the station logos are annoying, but the advertising of upcoming shows is ridiculus already. If you are watching TV on Wed who cares whats on Monday night. Expecially since every commercial break they replay the same coming attraction for the monday night show.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting (and older) thread here. :)
Can someone fill in the "TNN gaps" here. Not many posts in this thread since August 2001, and I'm just wondering if TNN (before its switch to "Spike") did or did not drop the horribly-annoying "black bar of unwanted info" at the bottom of the screen?
Now, to bring this debate up to date, I see where "Spike" does NOT currently utilize the "bar" all across the screen, BUT they have an awful and distracting Logo Bug in the corner (as do almost all stations). This "Spike" bug, though, is more annoying than most because it twirls around every few seconds to post a new message -- "First Network For Men". Then, a few seconds later, it turns again (like an old "Burger Chef" sign), back to the "Spike TV" logo. Yuck!
Somewhat a further aggravation with these "Bugs" is the fact that they'll turn them off for the commercials, when we really don't give a damn whether they're there or not. But then: Right back on when the show starts again.
I even find NBC's incessant screen text somewhat annoying. When watching "The West Wing", NBC feels it's necessary to continuously "remind" us we're looking at "THE WEST WING", with the name of the show on screen for a few seconds (plus the obligatory: "Winner Of 6 Emmys" text alongside it -- IF applicable that season). :)
It's nice to have shows on DVD, so that these "visual interruptions/distractions" are eliminated.
Question about some TV-on-DVD ..... Don't many newer shows pretty much forego any "end credits" sequences -- other than seeing a list of a million names flash by in a billionth of 1 second on the far right side of the screen (that can't POSSIBLY be read even with a magnifying glass) while the network uses this time to promote other programs?
If these "flying 90 MPH" credits were the way it was originally aired, then I'm wondering how these credits are seen on the DVDs? I've not encountered such a case as yet; so I'm unaware.
Are the credits on the DVD stretched out to fill the whole screen (somehow)?

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
On Buffy DVDs and Angel DVDs the credits fill the whole screen and the music theme is played over the credits,they didn't do that on the original airings(they were scrunched up and moved really faster)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
David, IIRC they did NOT remove the black bar until the switch to SpikeTV.
Coincidentally, expect to see a new bug for SpikeTV next month, as they will be changing their logo to give it a more mechanical look - i.e. make it yellow and black. Basically, their rebranding to "the first network for men (not named ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, Playboy, or Spice)" hasn't worked, as their ratings are just marginally better than when they were still TNN.
Story here

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
David: You can tell when a show aired originally with end credits. On the Simpsons for instance, they are real end credits, and they have different music and the signature yellow written credits.

But for Smallville, which originally aired without credits, you have the two executive producer credit screens and the music fades off (ala the original airing). Then a cheap DVD version of the credits in the same font comes on with a piece of generic music that's the same for EVERY FREAKING EPISODE.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
If these "flying 90 MPH" credits were the way it was originally aired, then I'm wondering how these credits are seen on the DVDs? I've not encountered such a case as yet; so I'm unaware.
But the credits as seen on the networks are NOT how the show was produced. The production companies will create masters with full credits in their chosen format to be utilized in any off-network situation, such as DVD. On the recent "Freaks & Geeks" set, for instance, the creators of the show noted in a commentary that the music they created for their end credits never aired on NBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks