TNN logo a new low.....

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, Jul 9, 2001.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was flipping the channels the other day and I noticed Miami Vice on TNN(then National Network). So I decided to watch for a few minutes. I was disgusted at what I saw. Not only did it have the big colorful logo in the corner. But, their was a black stripe that ran the entire length of the bottom(almost like a partial letterbox). And in the box they write "Miami Vice". I said alright, they probably leave it on for a second or 2 and then it goes away. Well it did not. So not only is their a logo, but a black box at the bottom. Good thing I have all the Trek's on video and eventually on dvd. Because, I will NEVER watch the network that blots the screen with nonsense!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It was late last Friday. I happened to tune in to local channel KCOP-13, our UPN affiliate. A Voyager rerun was on. What held my attention, though, was that the screen was free of station bugs. Since the bugs are shown via an overlay, the picture I was watching seemed clearer that unusual. So, I thought I'd stick with it. Unfortunately, there was a station break, after which KCOP stuck its logo back on. The picture was dimmer, more washed out, and KCOP's logo is huge and white--it consists of the UPN logo, surrounded by a very large "13," taking up, I guess, at least eight percent of the available real estate. I switched channels.
    When I saw this post's title, my first thought going in was that I at least don't watch TNN. Then it hit me: I will be this fall, for the TNG and DS9 reruns. Well, it that station bug is still being used, I guess not. Once the DVDs arrive, the hell with watching the older Treks on bug-infested "regular" TV. Screw them all to hell. This is a nightmare.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Hear, hear. I will be watching trek on DVD only. TNN seems to have some piss-poor practices. For a time Sci-fi was running bugs that moved about the screen during B5 announcing the upcoming schedule. After many complaints they dropped it. I'm really not a fan of broadcast TV overall.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

TNN, we've got poop.

5. Jack Briggs

I checked this monstrosity out last night, and it's just as Todd says: The bottom portion of the screen looks like a letterbox bar--a bit larger than the letterbox bar of a 1.66:1 film presentation on a 4:3 screen. As for the remaining image--that fast-dying part we call the "program"--it didn't appear vertically distorted, so we must conclude the bottommost portion of the image is being cropped. TNN's logo is a bright, primary color-laden affair that really pops out--your eye is drawn immediately to it, and then toward the "letterbox bar." Obviously, this is intended as internal-promotion space.
    Congratulations to TNN for having raised the bar for network obnoxiousness. The day is not far off when such spaces are used for continuous network promotions as well as additional advertising.
    Think about it. We're already paying for the "privilege" of being able to see TNN. Then the network is going to make you pay further by its incessent advertising.
    By constantly "selling" to us, the networks are selling out.
    It will get worse--and probably never get better unless something is done. I am considering writing to my congressional representative to ask if there is a political solution to this nightmare.
    The day is soon coming also that I no longer watch commercial or cable broadcasts of any sort. I know I won't be watching Star Trek: The Next Generation under such intolerable, odious circumstances. (TNN, you've lost a viewer you almost would've gained this fall.)
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. ryan_m

ryan_m Stunt Coordinator

I have a season pass (on Tivo) for the Wonder Years on TNN so I watch every days episodes and when they first put the black bar up it was actually bigger. Probably double the size it is now. It actually covered up some of the credits. I too am really sick of all the stations putting logos up. The big FOX always annoys me when watching the XFiles. I understand why they do it, but do they really think people NEED to see that to know what station they are watching. Another thing that annoys me is when the local news decides they need to put the entire picture in a little tiny box so they can show you some neat-o footage of a fire (or whatever) they just got. TNN does have that number you can call, if they get enough calls they might just do something about it.

7. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Folks, this is nothing compared to what TNN was doing a month ago. Were you not watching it when they had pop up ads (for other TNN programming) that randomly came up during the show? They were doing this for about 6 months. This bar at the bottom is a welcome relief but it still has to go!
    Jeff

8. Jack Briggs

So perhaps writing TNN is in order, if the channel is actually responding to viewer input. My approach would be simple, blunt, and brutal: "Gentlemen--I don't watch TNN. But I was planning to start this fall when the Star Trek programming was to begin. If you do not remove that overtly distracting station ID-logo and black bar running across the screen, I will be all too happy to forego watcing your channel, since Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine are coming to DVD."
    Let's do it, guys.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

9. Graeme Clark

TBS has had annoying logos and ads for other shows in the corner forever. I know Austin Powers will be on in 5 days already!
    ------------------

10. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

That damn logo pisses me off so much I've removed TNN from the standard channels on my TV. You've lost another viewer until it is removed.

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

send it to: [email protected]

12. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that hates the TNN logo.
    I was glad that I'd finally be able to watch Miami Vice again after all these years. Initially it was hard to watch with that giant colored logo in the bottom corner but now with that black bar, it's just unwatchable. TNN needs to pull their heads out from where the sun don't shine.
    I can only hope that Miami Vice makes it to DVD someday.

13. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Here's a mother of a station bug...
    http://members.nbci.com/videoplusdvd...t/newsnet.html
    This 24-hour news channel went from full screen to full screen with mini bug to the shrunken-head you now see - it's worse than msnbc or CNN!
    ------------------
    "Good grief! The comedian's a bear!!"

14. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I hear you. Especially bad was when there was some kind of local news event that necessitated either a full interruption or, more common now, muting and shrinking the program and displaying a news brief. But i really do not care if there is a fire in a garment building at night.
    Way off topic...Jeff (just Jeff), are you some kind of stealth member? You have no 'member since' date?!?
    ------------------
    Bombardment Society - Member

15. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    My son just called me in to see the television. Miami Vice was being shown with no logo, and no black bar. Rolling Thunder is just beginning and there is no logo or bar.
    Perhaps a thank you would be appropriate.
    Forget the thank you. The bar and logo are back after 20 minutes. I guess the moron at the switch fell asleep.
    [Edited last by Bill McCamy on July 19, 2001 at 11:23 PM]
    [Edited last by Bill McCamy on July 19, 2001 at 11:42 PM]

16. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Am I the only one who finds these logos useful? Surely there must be someone else who…
    Wait, what forum am I on?
    …Oh, there it is. The Home Theater Forum.
    Anyway, I need the logos so I can…
    Wait, what forum am I on?
    What was I saying? Oh, yeah. I like the logos because sometimes I can’t remember what channel…
    Wait a sec. What forum am I on?
    So I’m going to write to them and tell them that the logos should stay.
    Hold on. What forum am I on?
    !
    Am I online?
    [​IMG]

17. Graeme Clark

[​IMG] [​IMG] Brian, one of the best laughs I've had on this forum in awhile.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Graeme Clark on July 30, 2001 at 01:06 PM]

18. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Well, its been over a month since this thread started and TNN hasn't changed yet. My wife is the big Star Trek TNG fan and she won't be watching if they keep that black strip over the image with the title there.
    Joel

19. Jack Briggs

Well, Joel, please call that 800 number so kindly provided above. And ask your wife to call separately. Make it specifically clear that you were planning on becoming a regular TNN viewer when the channel started running TNG--but that you're simply going to wait for the DVDs now. Every little bit helps.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

20. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Though I only watch TNN for wrestling (where there are no black bars, just a bug), I agree with all of you - the station bugs, advertising and alterations to programming is getting out of hand. There's nothing more satisfying than watching the WB11 logo with a movie hidden underneath it.
    Last week, I had a revelation. I was watching an old tape of Max Headroom. Episodes taped in 1987 by a 17 year old version of me. There were no bugs. And when the episode ended, YOU COULD ACTUALLY READ THE CREDITS. Sorry for yelling, but it was like somebody threw the sofa at me and I realized for the first time that it was THAT heavy.
    They didn't get shoved to the bottom in order to make room for a commercial. They weren't neatly labeled on the left-hand side for promos or so the ten o'clock news could start eight seconds early. I could read them. Unions must have been thrilled back then because gaffers, assistant director and make-up artists could be recognized without the use of strong prescription eyewear.
    After that day, I really - I mean seriously - noticed how poorly television is treated by the networks and cable shows. A shame.
    -g