What's new

Titanic or Shiva? (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Rick,

I believe Frank Carter purchased an amp from MCM for a sub that he's building for his parents. I don't think he got the one that you linked to - but, rather, the 250 watt one. Maybe, you could ask him more about the amp quality, etc.

In regards to the amp that you linked, it seems like a good, powerful amp. Also, having the remote control option is a nice feature, too.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Rick,

Also regarding the Shiva: You missed a good sale that ended on 12/24. You could have gotten a Shiva for $110 - shipped. The price is now back up to $125 - shipped.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Ricky,

why not stick with one of the tried and true Parts Express 250 watt plate amps? I know it looks like the MCM has a little more power for the same money, but something looks fishy with the MCM specs...the THD is spec'd at 250 @ 4 ohms, despite the 360 watt into 4 power rating. The PE amps spec THD at rated output.

Just something to think about....

Brent

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brent. I completely missed that. After calling both stores (not specifically about this) I received much more help and support from PE...kinda makes me lean towards them.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I got the 250W MCM amp, the sub's coming along slowly but I won't be able to get it done until after new years. I did test it out though with a few subs...my vented AV15, DIY SVS, and a Dayton DVC12 in the DIY SVS enclosure. For the SVS and DVC12 it was plenty, but not enough for the AV15, but this was compared to my 750Wx2 Samson amp. If I never had the Samson amp and ran one of these to each of my Stryke's I couldn't say I wouldn't be pleased.

Build quality seems good to me but I've never had another plate amp or another amp with similar output to compare it to. I talked to MCM tech support(very helpful to me via email) to verify the amp had no sort of boost and to verify that it has a 1 yr warranty. They said the earlier versions of this amp was an exact copy of the PE amp with the built in boost, then he went on to say that they upgraded the amps to the current model which is a different design but he didn't go into any details about what was different.

I have the manual and schematics to the amp saved on my computer. If anyone wants, I can upload them to my webspace and provide the link here.

I just used one of the 250 watt MCM plate amps in a project for my neighbor. It looks very similar to the PE model and works well.
I would recommend it.

Also, you may want to check out the AV12 driver.
I've never seen one, but they have some fans here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks