How good is the DAYTON 10" TITANIC MKII for a small box sub?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jeff lam, Jan 18, 2005.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Saw this driver on special and am looking to build a small box sub for a friend (2ft^3 is OK). Was wondering how good these Titanic drivers are and how small a box i can get and still get low (20-25hz tune) compared to the DVC series which is pretty much the same as the tempest/shiva drivers.

BTW, how has everyone been I haven't posted here in about 2 years.

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Jeff, yes been awhile!

The PE/T-III series are very nice drivers, but most use the 12" & 15" or go with another brand due to their reg pricing costs.

I know you mentioned a sale on the 10".

Dose he specificaly want a 10" woof, or is it that he just wants to "stay" vented/NOT PR'ed at around 2-ft^³ or under in cabinet size (regardless of "Driver Size") and get down solid to 25Hz.???

Regards
    Geoff ¥

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Jeff, I believe the Mk2 that you are referring to is now sold out. At least that's how it shows up on the PE website. It was on $99 special while it lasted, but it has now been replaced by the Mk3 that Geoff was speaking of.

I modelled the Mk2 a few times and it seemed to work in much smaller ported boxes than the Shiva/DVC. I seem to remember thinking that even using a 3" flared port you would need to do something like a 12" sonotube enclosure to get enough space for a vent long enough to tune it to the mid-20's.

The Mk3 wants an even smaller enclosure than the Mk2 so the only feasible porting option would be a slot port with a bend or two in it to get a port length that's longer than any one side of a box enclosure. Otherwise you could go with PR's or sealed. But PR's get expensive and sealed might not give you the output you're looking for.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    we are mainly looking to keep the size down. Thats why i was thinking about the 10". I was thinking that the titanic was a more powerful sub than the dvc and may give me near the performance of the dvc12 but in a much smaller enclosure, what do you think?

down to 25hx or so is enough, hes not trying to duplicate my 17.5hz tempest design or anything. Considering my tube is 6.1 ft^3, thats out of the question.

oh, i also wanted to keep it as cheap as possible. when i saw the $99 special i thought it may be one of the better drivers in that price range.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Before I get bashed for this, run some sims....

Jeff
    You might try simming ~{a "Pair" of these in a single vented box}~ alignment.

2-cubes or "their about" seems about right with driver volume, braceing, port, and amp displacment subtracted. In room with room gain, should be good down to around 25-Hz.

A typical square box might not allow for typical tube/PP porting, (Don't know what size port/s you'ed be using). But if you went thinner in width, then taller & deeper to obtain proper cabinet volume, it would certainly work. Thus not having to use a slot port and the added cabinet size, mdf, & work involved. Woofs could be stacked on the front baffel or possibly side fired from one or each side.

Impresive output/spl with lower power than usually needed for similar woofers. Very nice drivers, but pricing will go up on the 30th.!
    I've delt with them a few times and their straight up and excellent to deal with. Also, Ben stands behind his/their products 100% and they carry an excellent warranty also...

100.00 will purchase a pair, and their pretty nice looking to boot, a nice bonas to some..

=====>
    There certainly are many other ways/and drivers to the small box route. "But on the cheap", the options begin to shrink...
    =====>

Just thinking out loud. Call me crazy, wouldn't be the first time! [​IMG]

Cheers
    Geoff ¥