What's new

Tips on running speaker wire thru walls/across studs (2 Viewers)

dwm1982

Auditioning
Real Name
DWM
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum, have enjoyed reading a few posts so far!I am wondering if some of you can offer me some tips/suggestions on running speaker wire through my walls. I want to run some wires from my receiver to a higher wall-mount position near the TV. I need to go both vertically and horizontally, so I need to go thru walls studs.I cannot do it from the attic (there isn't one above this room) or basement (it's finished). So the only way to do it is straight through the wall.The room is finished, and I want to avoid really butchering the wall. If I can do this without having to repaint, that would be awesome... but I realize it may not be possible. I'm hoping some of you have some magic tips. I'd like to install nice terminals/receptacles on the walls, if I could, but am willing to just have a wire "hanging out" (covered by the speaker) if any of you have some neat trick that makes this easier. Anyone have any good tips or suggestions or a how-to guide or something? Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Look at running it under the carpet or behind the baseboard. If you run it horizontally in the wall you will need to drill a hole in each stud. The only way to do that is butcher the drywall.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
They do make a reallllllyyy long, something like 40" or so drill bit that is meant to fish wires through walls, like say running romex (electric) from a lightswitch down to the basement through a floorboard. You could use it to run horizontally, but as mentioned above, it does need a hole to use it so depending on how long of your run, you'd have to drill a hole, punch a hole, snake the wire through... drill another hole, snake. drill, snake.. etc..

As far as having faceplates, speaker cable faceplates I think are available at the local big box hardware store, HD/Lowes, anything more complicated, I've gotten stuff from www.monoprice.com at good prices...

Jay

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Running along baseboard/under carpet is the way to go if you can't get above/below the room. You can run it up through the wall vertically, without having to go horizontal through studs. Get/borrow a fish tape (fiberglass tent poles work really well too) to pull the wire up from the bottom. You will have a small hole in your wall hidden by the speaker. You'll have a hole anyway if you are wanting to install wall plates.

bigDog1

Auditioning
Real Name
Vernon Royale
You could remove your baseboard along the bottom of the wall cut a channel in the drywall and run the wire. then cut a hole where the the wire need to go vertically up the wall between the studs. fish the wire up the wall to a plate behind the tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks