What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Tipping in restaurants (1 Viewer)

John Gates

Second Unit
My wife and I have an ongoing tiff about how much to tip the wait person at a restaurant. I am much more strict, and tip for service. I tend to calculate a strict percentage.

My wife insists on a couple of bucks, even if the bill is very low, sometimes resulting in a very high percentage.

IRS assumes that waiters are receiving 15% on average, so there is a tacit expectation that 15% is standard.

Personally, I tip 15% for good service, but my wife is appalled if I leave less. TIP stands for "To Insure Promptness," so if the service is not prompt or courteous, the TIP suffers accordingly.

For really excellent service, sometimes I go as high as 30%, with 20% being a "good tip" in my mind.

What do you all do about TIPs?

Am I being silly? Am I a hopeless tightwad?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
My baseline for tipping is 20%. Bad service gets less (10-15% depending on how bad, and good service gets a bit more (up to 30%).

John,

You do realize that most wait staff get paid a little over 2 bucks an hour and rely on the tips to make up the rest of their wages? When giving tips, I try to remember what a vital part they are to a waitperson's livlihood, and how tough it must be in the other person's shoes, attempting to please everyone they service, even those who are unpleasable.

J

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
My page contradicts yours, Brian. :) http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...g=exact&page=3

I've eaten at a range of restaurants, which can be anywhere from the local Pizza Hut to the Blue Point in Atlanta (which is likely a $50+/plate dinner... whoever paid for it knows :) ).

I've had anywhere from people using the term, "Pardon my reach" to having a waitress give a smug look when we place our glasses on the EDGE of the table awaiting a refill which she has apparently intentionally neglected to do.

At any rate, I've left a tip as low as whatever change is in my pocket to over $5 for a simple $20 meal. It has everything to do with the way they rub me and how good the service is... and I guess it should be that way.

I usually don't like to tip under $3, but I find that waiters/waitresses deserve less than that over 50% of the time, unfortunately.

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
tipping, is easily the most anxiety inducing issue for Brits visiting the States...:frowning:

to tip or not to tip....

in Britain it is still largely seen as optional, although increasingly expected. Its not that we are mean, but we do not like the 'automatic' assumption of paying a tip.

We do not generally give a tip for example, to a barman who simply hands us a pint of beer in the pub; and yet I had one rude barwoman chase after me in Miami, because I hadn't tipped her.

Also, why do Americans leave theeir money on the bar, go into a pub in England and you will pay for each round as you get it and always pick up your change.....

I would prefer to pay extra in restaurants and know that the staff got the money.

John Gates

Second Unit
You do realize that most wait staff get paid a little over 2 bucks an hour and rely on the tips to make up the rest of their wages? When giving tips, I try to remember what a vital part they are to a waitperson's livlihood, and how tough it must be in the other person's shoes, attempting to please everyone they service, even those who are unpleasable.
Hi Justin,

Yes, I understand completely that most waitstaff receive most of their compensation through tips, which is why I am frequently surprised when service is bad. It would seem that most wait staff would be very motivated to work hard for their tips, but sadly, I don't see that happening.

But, that said, I am far from "unpleasable." I do appreciate good service, though, and I reflect my appreciation with my tip.

The whole IRS rule about 15% though seems to have institutionalized tipping, which bugs me somewhat.

John G

PS. Interesting note about the origin of the word. The word to me still means "to insure promptness" even if that is not the official origin. I think most would probably agree.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
My tipping schedule mirrors Justin's. For really small bills, I usually tip $1 on a $2-$5 bill, and ~50 cents for a total under $2 (flexible if it's primarily coffee with a number of timely refills)

How does one file a claim under this type of insurance? "To ensure promptness" makes more sense, but then they would be "TEP"s. ;)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
If TIP means "To Insure Promptness", shouldn't you tip BEFORE being served ?

I actually do this in the "all inclusive" resorts where there is supposedly no tipping allowed. A few $$$ goes a long way with the waitstaff in those establishments. The reciept always shows a fake gratuity, but you know they receive nothing.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I tip around 20%, always round it off to the nearest even dollar or 50 cent amount. I have better things to worry about than wether a waitress deserves $5 more because she was good to me. OFten it's not even their fault.

I used to be cheap, but then I just said "Screw this, I'll just add 20% to the prices and be done with it". The peace of mind alone is worth it.

I don't tip because I want good service, I tip because I have to since restaurant owners are too cheap to pay their staff decent salaries.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
For the last 7 years I have worked in restaurants as a server. Right now I work very rarely (2-3 times a month for I have a primary job) but at one time the restaurant job WAS my primary job.

What most people don't realize is that a majority of things that can go wrong with a guest's experience are out of the control of the server. If you order drinks from me and I immediately punch them into the computer, a ticket gets produced at the bar telling the bartender what to make. They make those drinks in sequential order of when they come in. I work at a very upscale and popular steakhouse in Glastonbury, CT. There are some Saturday nights when I have to wait for a LONG TIME for drinks if something unusual happens, like if the server gets an order for 8 frozen margaritas right before I punch in your two Bud lights. Sometime the service bartender can be helped by the main bartender, sometimes not.

Also, how the food is prepared is out of my control. Assuming the order was punched in correctly (and we have review screens for that to assure this is the case), I am then at the mercy of the kitchen, their turnaround time and quality. The only thing I have in my control in the kitchen is the presentation of the plate before it leaves the kitchen. I usually cannot tell if the steak is overdone or underdone until it gets to the table.

The server should be judged on his presentation, table manners, personality, menu knowledge and willingness to help. If you ordered a filet mignon and I bring you a pasta dish, obviously I have screwed up. But sometimes if you order a drink and it doesn't get to the table for 5 minutes, it may not entirely be my fault.

Also, don't forget that servers have bad days too. Imagine your server just found out he didn't get into medical school that afternoon and then has to wait on 30 people that night to make a living. Whereas you can sit behind a computer and silently avoid people when you are in a bad mood, the server cannot. Not making excuses, because rude manners are rude manners, but it's a hard job (MUCH harder than most people give credit for, especially at "family" restaurants like Chili's or Fridays) and everyone makes mistakes from time to time.

Imagine if you made a mistake at your job and then your boss came over to you and said "Sorry, that's going to cost you $25 out of your check this week." You'd be pretty pissed.

Like I said, not making excuses for those who have gotten bad service, for I take pride in my service, but there are some factors that you need to consider when leaving the tip.

15% is standard for good service, 20% or more for GREAT service. Leaving a tip around 10% sends the server a valuable message. Leaving less is too harmful in my opinion.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
One other thing, when I dine at a small bistro or greasy spoon where the check is definately going to be small, then I always leave a larger tip than is necessary, for THOSE servers really have to bust ass to make a living.

But that may just be me.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
What most people don't realize is that a majority of things that can go wrong with a guest's experience are out of the control of the server.
Yes, but many places share tips and if service sucks (I don't care where in the chain it got messed up) everyone should share in my lack of tip.

I am there to have a pleasent meal. If I wanted to hear excuses about why the meal was late, cold, or messed up in someother way I would just stay home and let my wife cook for me. :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Tip the staff properly, talk to the manager about what was lacking. You'll probably get a free meal out of it too.

/Mike

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
You do realize that most wait staff get paid a little over 2 bucks an hour and rely on the tips to make up the rest of their wages?
Not my problem. I don't eat at restaurants for the purpose of giving to charity.

I tip for attitude and service. How long my food takes to get to me doesn't make a difference in my tipping, because as Evan said, it's not the server's fault. However, if the server avoids me for the entire hour I'm waiting for my food, he's not going to get a tip. If I have to wait for an hour because the place is busy and the server brings me some FREE fries or something to munch on while I wait, I'm likely to leave over 20%.

If I have to ask for anything more than twice, I don't leave a tip. There's nothing worse than going thirsty because the server won't refill your drink after you've asked and asked.

I'm generally a nice guy and try to give servers plenty of leeway, but it is necessary for them to take an active interest in the fact that I'm there. All I ask for is a pleasant attitude and eye contact. I can't stand servers who avoid all eye contact because they're afraid you're going to ask for something.

E

Eric Kahn

I tip according to service, I spent enough time eating in restaurants (former OTR truck driver) to know what is caused by a bad server and what is caused by bad kitchen help
I hate to say it, but anymore at the places I eat, the tip is based on whether the server has managed to keep my drink glass filled without me having to throw things at them to get their attention, but I do make allowances for the place being crowded and understaffed (most places are anymore during the school year)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I never leave less than 15% unless the service was hideous. 20% if I get good service and a bit more if warranted.

One thing that is strange is the fact that tips go up depending on how expensive the food is. Why should the waiter serving me lobster receive more than one serving ribs?

James T

Screenwriter
I usually tip 15% unless I get good service then it's a little higher. In another thread talking about being cheap, I described my friend, who does not like to tip anything. He likes Reservoir Dogs, so I think that had a little to do in influencing him not leaving any tips.

The only time I go below 15 are at Buffets where very little service is required, so I'll leave about 10%.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Not my problem. I don't eat at restaurants for the purpose of giving to charity.
No one said you had to give to charity. If the service sucks, tip accordingly. In this country, tipping is an integral part of the dining out experience, like it or not, and helps pay the wages of the wait staff. Personally I do not think this is necessarily the correct system to be in place, but it does allow more people to have jobs. The alternative to tipping would be to raise the price on the food to cover the costs of the service. I would rather give a few bucks in tip then pay 10 bucks for a cheeseburger.

Knowing quite a few people who have been waiters, you'd be surprised how cheap some people are when it comes to forking out the tip. These people work their butt off at times, trying their hardest to please the customer and then get left 2 bucks on a 40 dollar check, just because the customer is cheap. Something is just not right with that picture.

J

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
and then get left 2 bucks on a 40 dollar check, just because the customer is cheap
I've never understood why a tip should be a percentage of the check. Why not leave X number of dollars per person in your party based on the service?

Just because I buy a $25 dinner versus a $10 one doesn't mean the waiter is working more or less.

If it were up to me, I'd rather have the restaraunt pay the staff a decent salary and charge the appropriate price to cover their expenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks