I love UBER! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Was in New York City yesterday.

Before my travels I downloaded the UBER app to my iPhone.

Was just kind of curious to see what it was all about. I even researched UBER vs. TAXI fares and found out that in some cases, UBER is less expensive.

I put the service to the test as I was leaving a restaurant.

Brought up the app. It showed a live map of the area I was dining at. On that map were moving car icons, each which represented an UBER vehicle and its location.

With the press of a single button, it sent a request to the nearest vehicle. That vehicle was at the restaurant in less than two minutes. A text message from the driver alerted me that he was waiting around the corner. When I entered the vehicle, he called my by name.

It was an awesome drive to Penn Station. The cost from 59th to 33rd street was under $10

The app will give you a fare estimate. It will show you a photo of the driver in advance of pickup. Your ride is automatically charged to your credit card. Tipping is up to you. I don't think it's mandatory, but I certainly tipped my driver.

I know there is a big uproar across the country about UBER and how it's putting the taxi services out of business. But I have to tell you, there is something about being able to bring up an app on your phone, have it pinpoint your location, and then allow you to summon a vehicle. No more standing outside trying to hail a taxicab.

uber.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Was in New York City yesterday.

Before my travels I downloaded the UBER app to my iPhone.

Was just kind of curious to see what it was all about. I even researched UBER vs. TAXI fares and found out that in some cases, UBER is less expensive.

I put the service to the test as I was leaving a restaurant.

Brought up the app. It showed a live map of the area I was dining at. On that map were moving car icons, each which represented an UBER vehicle and its location.

With the press of a single button, it sent a request to the nearest vehicle. That vehicle was at the restaurant in less than two minutes. A text message from the driver alerted me that he was waiting around the corner. When I entered the vehicle, he called my by name.

It was an awesome drive to Penn Station. The cost from 59th to 33rd street was under $10

The app will give you a fare estimate. It will show you a photo of the driver in advance of pickup. Your ride is automatically charged to your credit card. Tipping is up to you. I don't think it's mandatory, but I certainly tipped my driver.

I know there is a big uproar across the country about UBER and how it's putting the taxi services out of business. But I have to tell you, there is something about being able to bring up an app on your phone, have it pinpoint your location, and then allow you to summon a vehicle. No more standing outside trying to hail a taxicab.

View attachment 31183

Fantastic experiences with Uber in the Phoenix area last year. My sister arranged all the trips, tips all pre-paid, no idea if the cost was similar to a taxi, but the drives were great. I always sat in the front seat, just chatted with the drivers, all incredibly nice people. Nice cars, not sleazy taxi cabs that rarely seem to be cleaned. They've definitely got me as a customer.

Had one pick-up at 3 a.m. outside of a hospital my mom was in. Driver was literally there in less than five minutes and I was on my way. Maybe just lucky, but with the app, he happened to be in the area and in minutes I was on the way to my sister's home.

Maybe they're putting taxis out of business, but basic economics. They offer a much better product and probably a better price.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

The other uproar is about fingerprinting and background checking the drivers. I saw on the local news this morning that UBER is leaving Austin, TX over this. It looks like the same thing is going to happen in Houston, too. Apparently, taxi and limo drivers have to jump through some I.D. hoops including fingerprinting that UBER drivers heretofore have not. There was an incident recently in which a woman was raped by an UBER driver.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I've never used Uber but know plenty of people who have. I think in some areas it is actually better than a taxi and makes more sense. In major cities, and particularly New York...I am sort of shocked they allow it. New York cabs pay a lot of money to operate in the city, that medallion on an NYC cab is big money. With all the licencing, requirements, and insurance costs for NYC cabs or to operate a livery...seems insane that anybody with a car and a cell phone can pick-up fares in the city. I'm in NYC fairly frequently and always use cabs or a car service. Never used Uber and I keep wondering when...because I think it is likely...places like NYC might tell them they are not allowed to operate there.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am glad I got to try it before it all goes "bust"

But, really, you have to marvel at how taxi service has come of age.

An app that tracks vehicles in the area. You simply request a pickup with your phone and the car is there in no time.

Maybe taxi services across the country should think about modernizing their services.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, taxi and limo drivers have to jump through some I.D. hoops including fingerprinting that UBER drivers heretofore have not. There was an incident recently in which a woman was raped by an UBER driver.
Holy shit, Uber doesn't have background checks?! I'm not a tough guy but unless the driver turns out to be Charles Manson or somebody, I'm not worried about my own safety. However, I'd never want anyone who would probably be physically overpowered by a driver get into a car with some potentially dangerous stranger.

The way that people are scared of everything and everybody today, I'm STUNNED that Uber is so popular if they essentially have no screening or security.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The first thing I thought after reading the OP was why don't the taxi services offer the internet experience? Uber has been going on quite a while now, it's time for them to respond, other then getting the government to outlaw Uber. Then after reading the thread, I thought why not require background checks, how tough or expensive can that be?

I just watched a rerun of Elementary and it was mentioned in the episode that a taxi medallion in NYC can cast one million bucks. That can't be true can it? That would be just absurd.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think Uber makes sense if you are in an area where a cab is not likely to be nearby. However, in a major city like NYC that literally charges a fortune to even be able to operate a cab there and is very strict about the requirements to do so...it just seems amazing that they would let something like Uber undercut all the people that paid a lot of money for the opportunity to operate a cab there.

First off, that is amazingly unfair to the people who paid and went through all the proper steps and requirements to operate a cab or car service and second, Uber seems like a major lawsuit waiting to happen.

I do think we will shortly see licensed cab companies and car services using apps like Uber does and when you are in NYC a cab is only seconds away. I'm not so stunned Uber is popular because the generation that has grown up with cell phones are pretty open to embrace this kind of thing. However, I think to be an Uber driver all it requires is to fill out some online forms...which could easily be manipulated...and Uber is not screening drivers the way a cab or car service must. It is literally a way of scamming the system which is why I think somebody will either squash it or buy it and change it so Uber works for the existing licensed cab and car services. I just can't see them having all these licensing, insurance, safety, and background requirements for regular cabs and car services and allowing anybody with a cell phone and a car to go around that.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, it is true...which is why I can't believe the Uber thing would be allowed there.

The Medallion program is a corrupt, crony relic. It should be outlawed as technology has surpassed its original intentions.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, however, the entire "sign up to be an Uber driver" occurs online. So, nobody sees you face to face or knows if the forms you fill out really match who you are. It's an easy thing to scam.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The Medallion program is a corrupt, crony relic. It should be outlawed as technology has surpassed its original intentions.
Yes, in different cities I have seen that not only must you pay the above board costs but you also have to pay a bribe or bribes to operate in a city. New York is loaded with opportunities like this, to use a loading dock or not be kept waiting to use that dock you must bribe someone. To use a freight elevator or get bumped higher on the list to use it...bribe somebody. Basically, for a lot of businesses that operate in the city they have their above board costs and then their bribe money. It has been going on so long it is accepted.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
In a Taxi you are generally separated from the driver for the driver's safety and your own but in somebody's personal car you are not.

I think this works both ways and an Uber driver could also be an easy target.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Uber performs background checks. Jeez, simple research here people.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3050172/tech-forecast/the-truth-about-ubers-background-checks
Their background checks seem seriously lacking though. The article opens up by pointing out that Uber didn't detect the criminal record of 25 drivers in just 2 of the cities they operate in and, most importantly, it also says that they don't require fingerprinting. At that point, a violent criminal could give Uber someone else's name & SSN and they'd have no problem getting a job.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member

As far as this thread goes, NYC should be considered a foreign country. Life in NYC isn't even close to what regular "America" experiences. They do not dictate to the rest of the US.

Whatever happens in NYC should stay in NYC, the rest of the US is free to do what they please.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm not saying NYC dictates to anybody...I was just surprised they allow Uber at all because they make it so expensive and difficult to operate a cab there. I mean they also have tried to set limits as to what sort of cars are used as cabs with an eye toward greener more environmentally friendly vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks